How to start Robot model ...??

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hi Guys,

I have seen this Robotic challenge ROBOCON and i am very much interested to know how to make it??

My first question is, which motor should be taken to drive the manual robot?? as it will wt. more than 100kg.
should i go for Car self (Maruti 800) it was big in size near by 20cm and it drive a 800CC engine....the play is for few minutes.

you can see the theme of it here.
:D

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
OK, if i will Google than i find a motor called NPC T64 which cost more than 350$ ( Rs 15,000/.) then....??
I want low cost it will be very expensive for my group.

and the Self i was talking will rotate in one direction, so no chance to use it.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Are you kidding i want a motor of high torque and atleast 150 RPM....
The robot will like a car as drivers is to be sited on it.

Smoke_Maker

Joined Sep 24, 2007
Goggle used electric wheel chair or scooter. This is not a cheap competition, you need to have deep pockets for this game.

Think used for lower price and where you see people are moved by electric, golf carts, scooters, forklift, etc.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
This is not a cheap competition, you need to have deep pockets for this game.
Yes, but the cost very much man...If i will 2 motors so expensive than what about oyhers thing and other two robots..??

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Yes, but the cost very much man...If i will 2 motors so expensive than what about oyhers thing and other two robots..??
I did it through sponsors. Local businesses, put their logo on the side for a few hundred, etc. Write a letter to Maxon and other OEM manufacturers stating you are trying to do a competition, you will need to show them a plan, and what you have purchased and have the ability to purchase, and they will sometimes help.

The OEMs of 20 years ago were a lot more generous with freebies for promotion, since the age of the Internet, fewer companies will do it, but if you show a good design (chance of winning) and explain the situation well in a formal business letter, it can get you places with "scratch and dent" type motors that are usually dismantled and re-built for cosmetic reasons, even though they function fine.

Just like job apps, write 100 letters to 100 places, expect to hear back from 10, and good news from maybe 1 or 2.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Rritesh,
What would you do with such motors if you had them?
They would be just a couple of parts in a large assembly.
The expense would not stop at just the motors.

You have not presented any designs or plans.

You have not yet demonstrated the ability to design complex systems, or write programs to enable microcontrollers to control said systems.

Right now, the only things I am hearing from you is that you want some expensive motors that you apparently cannot afford to purchase - but once you had them, you would not be able to do anything with them.

Why don't you start with a much smaller and far less expensive project? That way, when you make mistakes on the project, you will not lose much money, but you will gain a lot of experience.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
What would you do with such motors if you had them?
They would be just a couple of parts in a large assembly.
The expense would not stop at just the motors.
First, this is the last time for me and my group to participate in this contest and if we talk about design i have plan litle bit in my mind...
I will make the body in my local market ( there are lot of guys who are mechanical workers).

The main obstacle in this project is motor and Tyre which i can't find in my town.
I have gone to almost every shop, agencies, etc..to get any info about this motor but i don't find such motor in the market.
some motor rotate only in one direction( car starter motor) and some work on more than 24V and the wt. is also large.

Smoke_Maker

Joined Sep 24, 2007
some motor rotate only in one direction( car starter motor) and some work on more than 24V and the wt. is also large.
Starter motor go's both directions, try it. A starter motor will work on 24 volts and 6 volts. You need to find someone who works on motors or find a local electrical engineer and talk to them (learn). I use used parts because I do not have enough money to buy a new motor like you want, I have used starters, window motors, antenna motors, air conditioning motors, look for a broken wheel chair or some place that fixes wheel chairs.

Learn about motors by starting small (little money) then enter a competition.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Rrittesh,
If this is the last time that you and your group can participate in the contest, then I'm afraid that you have missed that opportunity already. You simply do not have the time, money, knowledge and resources to construct a viable machine at this point in time. You would be very dependent on others to provide all of those things for you, and I just don't see that happening.

Maybe if you had another 3-4 years?

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Starter motor go's both directions, try it. A starter motor will work on 24 volts and 6 volts. You need to find someone who works on motors or find a local electrical engineer and talk to them (learn).
I have seen it the starter is very big and it have gear system in it....
so, when i asked the engg. can we drive it in both direction he refuses, because the rotor get free in opp. direction...
But in small two vehicle starter move in both direction but it have low torque..

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
If this is the last time that you and your group can participate in the contest, then I'm afraid that you have missed that opportunity already. You simply do not have the time, money, knowledge and resources to construct a viable machine at this point in time. You would be very dependent on others to provide all of those things for you, and I just don't see that happening.

Maybe if you had another 3-4 years?
If i will not win than no problem at least i can join the event...