How to start an Electronix Club ?

MHDS

Joined May 25, 2015
Hello everyone! I am a 2nd year electronics engineering student. I want to create an Electronix Club at our college. But being an young mind I have no idea. The motto is to design cool gadgets and also become self sufficient in circuit designing.

Can you please help me with which types of circuits should I start innovating? And how will I know about the complete analog functioning of a circuit which I find in the net? Bcozz they don't specify much.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'd talk to one or more of your professors to find out if they're interested in sponsoring a club. I'd also talk to fellow students to see if they have any interest.

I don't think students are going to be doing much innovating, but there are exceptions. Regarding how to understand the complete functioning of a circuit, it's up to you to find someone who can explain the parts you don't understand.

Some things a club could do are:
  • sponsor something local related to electronics (e.g. a middle school Lego robotics team)
  • have guest speakers from local experts (e.g. if you're in the Silicon Valley, find some people who were involved in the design of innovative products like the 4004, EPROM, etc; many are now retired but I know some are still living in the area)
  • get involved with National Engineers Week and go to schools to encourage students to pursue electrical engineering
  • get involved with STEM
  • start or support local e-cycling events
  • find local sources of discarded, but still useful, computer equipment; refurbish and donate to public schools
Unless you have some really clever club name, I suggest spelling electronics correctly... When I first read it, I thought it was a typo.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
our local ham club has been having projects to help our members learn more about electronics.. there isnt vry much in the liscense curses any more, but small projects, like audio oscilators, amplifiers, simple recieverfs and transmitters, as well as interfaces to connect computers to our radios for the digital modes arent too dificult. the main problem is that with the internet and other distractions, clubs seem to be on the way out.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Negotiate out-of-hours access to some college equipment, test gear, PCB fabrication, MCU programmers etc. and people will come.

Also stop writing messages in txt spk, it may sound "cool" but plain English is less likely to put people off

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Check if your school already has a robotics club - it is better to have a cross-functional team of mechanical device, circuit design, software (firmware), strategy...

All kinds of regional and national competitions in April of each year - that way you have a goal and get some recognition for a good project. line-following bots, Sumo bots, battle bots, humanoid bots... Ohio State University hosted a big competition it he mid-west in April 2015 for mini-Sumo bots and had schools from New Jersey to Illinois participate on the club level. I think that competition rotates locations and is managed by the mid-west IEEE.