How to start a Project. 1st one

electech5

Joined May 14, 2014
Hey Everyone!
I am looking to start my first project to build from circuit up and was thinking of doing a CNC machine. I have my diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology, however never did a full project like I want to try to do. Can someone give me some points on how to kind of break the project down into manageable parts? Any help would be appreciated!

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Do you have experience in mcu and programming like PIC or Arduino? Most probably the hardest part would be the mechanical parts like high speed motor and stepper motors controlling the movements of the CNC bits. I have used both the motor and laser versions but I am seeing that it would not be an easy project for the faint hearted.

Not so long ago, I think someone in this forum had made a CNC from scratch. May be you can do a search on the word CNC and see what you can find.

Allen

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I would start smaller, much smaller. Make some LEDs flash, then work on an h-bridge for controlling a small DC motor, and build up your skills. You've got the education, but maybe not the construction skills that will be required. You can focus on the unit operations needed by your CNC, but again, divide and conquer. Too big a first project will be frustrating.