How to solve eigenvalues from a characteristic equation.

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by u-will-neva-no, Nov 5, 2011.

1. u-will-neva-no

Thread Starter Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Hey! I have worked out the characteristic equation using det(A-λI) = 0,
    where
    A = [\frac{a  b}{c   d}] (ignore the line, it is a matrix but don't know how to do it in LaTex so used the fraction function)

So my characteristic equation is:
    \lambda^2 -tr(A)\lambda + det(A) = 0

where tr(A) = a + d and  det(A) = ad - bc

How would I solve the eigenvalues for the above function? I understand that it is the values of \lambda = 0 but not sure how to make the function to to zero in this general case... Thanks!

2. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Your characteristic equation in \lambda is a quadratic -- can't you just write down the two roots (eigenvalues) using the quadratic formula? I get \frac{a+b \pm \sqrt{(a+d)^2 - 4(ad-bc)}}{2}. As always, check the geezer's algebra. :p

u-will-neva-no likes this.
  3. u-will-neva-no

Thread Starter Member

Mar 22, 2011
    My quadratic equation came to:
     \frac{a+d \pm \sqrt(a^2 +d^2 -2(ad -2bc))}{2}

My complete question is the following. I need to obtain a relationship between the trace and the determinant of A. The question also talks about a formula
    A = M  \wedge (M^-1) Would it be possible if anyone could explain/ give a solid example on how to use this formula?

4. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
  5. u-will-neva-no

Thread Starter Member

Mar 22, 2011
    @someonesdad, I think I was wrong to expand out and your form is alot better to deal with. Has anyone come across a problem like this before?

6. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I agree with someonesdad's answer too. It's not that unusual of a problem. The methodology to set up your equation is standard. The fact that in the end you get a quadratic equation shouldn't trouble you, it's pretty common.

7. u-will-neva-no

Thread Starter Member

Mar 22, 2011
    What I don't understand Is how I can find the eigenvectors when my two eigenvalues are messy. Can the above eigenvalues be expressed in a matrix form?

8. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Yes, practically your eigenvalues are:

\left[ \begin{array}{c} \frac{a+b + \sqrt{(a+d)^2 - 4(ad-bc)}}{2} \\ \frac{a+b - \sqrt{(a+d)^2 - 4(ad-bc)}}{2} \end{array} \right]

Which makes your eigenvectors the solutions of the equation:
    A \cdot x_i=\lambda_i \cdot x_i

I know it's fuzzy, but remember that in the end λi is a constant for your use.

9. u-will-neva-no

Thread Starter Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Cool, thanks Georacer!