how to slow down an electric motor

daveydo

Joined Nov 5, 2015
Power supply input: 100 to 240 volts, 50 to 60Hz, 1.5 Amps; Output: 15 volts, 4 Amps. Horsepower and torque: 0.5 HP, 40 in-lbs, 300RPM. Comes with a 9-foot US cord.
I have this motor on a device and it does have a thumb turn roller, what i call a rheostat device, that does control the speed, but at the onset of activation of it, at its slowest activation of the motor via the rheostat, the motor turns too fast. How can I slow it down?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What do you mean the output is 15v? Is there some sort of transformer in between the mains power and the motor? Is there also a rectifier?

Any possibility to use a gearbox?

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
what i call a rheostat device
If motor induction type, control needs be inverter drive (like VFD). If motor brush and com type control can be rheostat which means variable resistor but way inefficient! Should use pwm or phase control! Slow as 300 rpm means gearmotor or sophisticated driver for dc motor.

but at the onset of activation of it, at its slowest activation of the motor via the rheostat, the motor turns too fast. How can I slow it down?
With poor designed phase controller start setting and av higher than lowest setting so plz try turning control back down just after motor start:) Also vfds and dc motor controllers are cheap to buy and easy to design and build so you're spoiled for choice of solutions to trouble:D

Last edited:

Techno Tronix

Joined Jan 10, 2015
If it's direct drive you can install a VFD (variable frequency drive control) - not real cheap. If belt driven, you can change the sheaves to slow down (increase driven sheave dia. or decrease driver diameter.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
If it's direct drive you can install a VFD (variable frequency drive control) - not real cheap.
Actually, VFDs are less expensive than you may think -- for instance, a unit applicable through 3 HP may be purchased new for Ca. $500 (USD) --- On the other hand, should the motor in question be of commutated construction, I concur with posts #3 and #4 in that a PWM based controller is the best solution where speed and torque regulation are required...

best regards
HP

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I don't recall ever seeing a VFD for one of these which I suspect would be un-economical to produce?.;)
No doubt:) -- I was citing results from my own experiments with DIY VFDs and 'skeleton-frame' shaded pole motors (think turntable and Tektronix 'boat anchor scope' fan motors):D

Last edited: