How to select Micro-controller

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Athulmsr, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Athulmsr

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Hi,

I need to select a PIC33F microprocessor. My requirements are:-

1.Need to connect a LIN,CAN or K-Line Transceiver(I didn't find any transceiver for K-Line. Hope LIN transceiver is compatible)

2.Need to connect to a 16 by 2 LCD

3.Need to connect to max 4 touch switch(need touch controller)

4.Need a bluetooth interface

Can someone suggest me some lowcost solution?
    Hope somesone could help...

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Check out microchip's site, they have a product selection tool that will help you pick a PIC:))), I think it's called the MAPS tool...

Athulmsr likes this.
  3. Athulmsr

Jul 5, 2013
    But I need to find a proper selection of the interfaces to the components to reduce the I/O pins and hence the cost to do that... Please help me in selecting them...

4. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    There are Bluetooth modules that work on UART, or SPI, along with 8 pins for a character display, CAN is two lines and lots of controllers have touch switch capabilities...

I think you need to define your other hardware before you can devise a way to control it...

Athulmsr likes this.
  5. Athulmsr

Jul 5, 2013
    Thanx for the reply, it was useful. Here I would like to control all the module by micro controller...

6. donpetru

Nov 14, 2008
    PIC33F is not the best choice. As I studied the market, I would like to say that the best choice at the moment, from the view of price / performance, are STM32 ARM. For example, see STM32F407VGT6:
    http://www.st.com/web/catalog/mmc/FM141/SC1169/SS1577/LN11/PF252140
    STM32F407VGT6 some features:
    - 3×12-bit, 2.4 MSPS A/D converters: up to 24 channels and 7.2 MSPS in triple interleaved mode;
    - 2 × CAN interfaces (2.0B Active);
    - Advanced connectivity: USB 2.0 full-speed device/host/OTG controller with on-chip PHY; USB 2.0 high-speed/full-speed device/host/OTG controller with dedicated DMA, on-chip full-speed PHY and ULP
    and much more...

So, think and choose well.

Athulmsr likes this.
  7. Athulmsr

Jul 5, 2013
    Thnaks for the post. I think it is good, but we could make much better configuration using some low cost pic with just enough requriements...

8. raja.afiq

Jul 17, 2013
  9. ananthapriya

Jul 18, 2013
    Hey Why you have to choose ARM processor? because of special ARM having inbuilt with CAN option.So i think ARM processor is suitable.when you buy ARM processor you don't need to purchase can controller for separately.This is my thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BacklinksVault

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    Athulmsr likes this.
  10. Athulmsr

Jul 5, 2013
    Even though CAN module is present in a microcontroller, a transceiver is required to interface in an automobile application.
    Now cananybody suggest how to select the microcontroller for CAN implementation which will suppot as well the peripherals too