How to scan RF bands

initialrf

Joined Dec 9, 2015
Hi,

I am looking for a module which should scan the following RF bands: 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz. I would like this module to give, in TCP if possible, the frequency, the amplitude, and the lenght of the detected signals. Also, if the detected signal is a WiFi network, I would like the module to give the SSID of the network, and the MAC address of the emitting device. Can you give me some advice about the existing modules which allow to do that?

Best regards.

initialrf

Joined Dec 9, 2015
Thanks for that.
Actually, I am not looking for the final product. I am looking for a chipset which would let me create my own spectrum analyzer. That's what I meant by "module". (sorry for being unclear)
Do you have suggestions of chipsets which can be used to build a spectrum analyzer?

kyka

Joined Jun 7, 2015
The frequencies you are interested in are too high to build your own spectrum analyzer. The best I can think of that you can do is find a module that does all the analog and front-end work for you and then you just manipulate the output data as you like. A good SDR will be suitable for your needs but they are a little bit expensive (especially the good ones). See this list

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/roundup-software-defined-radios/

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Thanks kyka, it’s been a while since I looked thru that. The prices are coming down on some of the custom units, that’s great.

I’ve had a little “stock” sdr dongle for several years now.

They are great radios. I love the tuning displays.