How to run ModelSim with use of Grid Computing?

adila

Joined Nov 16, 2006
Hello everybody,

I would like to know if it is possible to run ModelSim in clustered mode using a Windows LAN.
Please let me know if there is any document or resource discussing this topic

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Three questions:

1) Which version of ModelSim do you have access to?

2) Have you looked on the ModelSim website at the technical details for the version of ModelSim you propose to use? If so, I take it there was nothing that could give you any answers to your query?

3) Could you give a few details about your application focus? (i.e. what you want to achieve, what is your target device etc).

Dave

adila

Joined Nov 16, 2006
QUOTE=Dave;22541]Three questions:

ModelSim ver. 6

2) Have you looked on the ModelSim website at the technical details for the version of ModelSim you propose to use? If so, I take it there was nothing that could give you any answers to your query?
I asked their support eng. staff. He said he couldn't find anything related to this topic in their knowledge base
3) Could you give a few details about your application focus? (i.e. what you want to achieve, what is your target device etc).
I want ModelSim to utilize the CPU power of work stations in the LAN (cluster) instead of running on a single pc (stand-alone)
I've heard that it is possible to sun ModelSim on several PCs simultaneously which will boost the simulation speed. (No matter what the application is)

Dave[/QUOTE]

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
If you had the Linux version you could run an OpenMosix cluster. It acts as one large processor rather than requiring a rewrite and recompile of you application.

http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/

It might be possible to run the Open Mosix cluster and then run windows in emulation with Qemu or Wine and run ModelSim on that, kind of hideous but... I might try it at some point to get emulated windows to be more usable.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Most probably there wouldn't be any performance gain from running it in cluster form. I take it that when the simulation engine is threaded then if you have multiprocessors/multicores then you would see some performance gain. Otherwise, without partitioning the engine and the particular jobs I don't think it would do much good.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Three questions:

ModelSim ver. 6

I asked their support eng. staff. He said he couldn't find anything related to this topic in their knowledge base
I want ModelSim to utilize the CPU power of work stations in the LAN (cluster) instead of running on a single pc (stand-alone)
I've heard that it is possible to sun ModelSim on several PCs simultaneously which will boost the simulation speed. (No matter what the application is)

Dave
Thanks.

The ModelSim website is currently down, but from what I can remember ver.6 doesn't have a concurrent operation feature that is transparent to the end user, this means that partioning your simulation across many computers will need to be achieved by you explicitly running the simulation in a concurrent manner.

The suggestion by n9352527 about partioning the engine and simulation jobs is probably your best bet. You could look at using a series of slave-PCs that you control remotely from a master-PC. All PCs have the ModelSim software installed (this may pose issues due to license restrictons) and you distribute partions of the job to the various PCs, giving you a concurrent simulation. Sadly, this approach is fairly labour intensive on the part of the person distributing an docntrolling the simulation.

I cannot comment on the software recommended by mrmeval, but it is certainly worth looking at if you have access to Linux, although you will need to be sure that it is suitable for use with ModelSim.

Dave