How to reverse an electric motor with a switch

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Finally you can find a single phase VFD that will create 3 phase. So unless you have 3 phase power to begin with you need to create it which is why I said forget about it. Finding a single phase reversible or DC type motor is likely easier.
Ron
I agree there may be simpler alternatives, but the 3phase motor via a VFD has been done for at least three decades, particularly by the CNC hobby crowd that do not have three phase in their garage, The VFD not only supplies 3 phase, but allows reverse and accel/decel simply.
No one runs a 3ph motor with a cap anymore, unless they are creating a rotary phase convertor.
If the OP is not that versed in electrical/electronics then obviously an off the shelf answer may be best.
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I agree there may be simpler alternatives, but the 3phase motor via a VFD has been done for at least three decades, particularly by the CNC hobby crowd that do not have three phase in their garage, The VFD not only supplies 3 phase, but allows reverse and accel/decel simply.
No one runs a 3ph motor with a cap anymore, unless they are creating a rotary phase convertor.
If the OP is not that versed in electrical/electronics then obviously an off the shelf answer may be best.
Max.
I agree. :) Max, your love affair with VFDs only exceeds my own by a few milli volts. I am also a strong advocate of off the shelf solutions in a good many cases. Especially when as you mention "If the OP is not that versed in electrical/electronics then obviously an off the shelf answer may be best".

Ron