How to repair/reinstall Outlook Express 6

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by DarcyCptrx, Aug 28, 2015.

1. DarcyCptrx

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 28, 2015
    n the last months it's happening to me that changing Outlook Express 6 (on Windows XP Pro) identity, Outlook Express hangs up: the identity changes but I don't see the mail texts. I must close Outlook Express and then it doesn't start. I must restart PC to start Outlook Express again.

Perhaps something is corrupted: is there a way to reinstall Outlook Express? or it's better that I pass to Outlook 2003 (that I already have installed but I don't use)? Can it depend on Norton Antispam? Today before hanging up it gave to me an error message of insufficient memory (but I have 1 Gb of it and I didn't have other programs open).

What do you suggest?

2. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Get rid of XP. The operating system has been unsupported for over a year. Many applications are beginning to break with XP. There are no patches for it and applications and application updates are no longer tested for compatibility with XP. I work for a support company, and we no longer touch a machine running XP.
  3. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Any of the following may remedy your problem:

Note: I concur with @djsfantasi -- OS upgrade is your only long-term solution -- annoyingly, said solution will likely necessitate hardware upgrade as well --- If (like many of us) you are disillusioned with Microsoft's 'racketeering ways' - you might consider Linux -- An excellent move once made - Be warned, however, that many find the transition less than 'smooth'...

-Reinstall XP, then reconfigure OE
    -Install another mail agent (i.e. Outlook, Windows Live Mail, etc...)
    -Upgrade OS

FWIW I find 'Windows 7' (Ultimate or Enterprise) to be the last decent Microsoft offering --- Be advised, however, that such is merely my opinion (based upon application to Workstations & Servers...

Whichever solution you choose - please be certain to back-up your mail store directory/files!

Good luck!
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  4. FrankChar15

Aug 30, 2015
    You can use Recovery Toolbox for Address Book. Windows Address Book is recovered in steps. Following the sequence of steps is the condition required for the successful recovery of a corrupted Windows Address Book file. Please carefully follow the instructions on recovering the Windows Address Book and the recovery process will not take long.

For more: