how to remove the surge protection from a UPS ?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Where is here? Home Depot or Lowe's has them for around $1.30, and I've bought a largish quantity from a flea market for pennies each. Send me a PM, if you're in the States I'll mail you some.

You REALLY don't want to use solder for this. It is a fire hazard among other things, the solder is a relatively high resistance in a 3 amp circuit, and has been known to melt during use, so in addition to a hot spot you now have live wires floating around with high voltage on them. Crimp on connectors were developed for these kind of applications. Light bulbs also get plenty hot, a 100W bulb is a 100W resistor, most soldering irons are 25 Watts, and regulated down from there.

Electricity and fire have this in common, show the slightest disrespect for their hazards than they will fry you, sometimes literally.

I thought you had settled on 3 bulbs? Smaller space, fewer parts.

Funny thing is, this trick is actually quite old. It was used during the tube days to do a smoke test without letting the expensive smoke out. If you have a short or some other problem with a circuit (or radio) the bulbs tell the tale.

Last edited:

evolutionX

Joined Aug 22, 2008
ok, I won't do this again without bulbs :p
I live in Romania, and what I found was arround $4/each, maybe there are cheaper somewhere else, but I had no time to search for cheap sockets.
I have a gas soldering iron 130W, and 3 more with different powers.