How to regulate 12DC input to -55DC

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by zhangz64, May 29, 2013.

1. zhangz64

Thread Starter New Member

May 1, 2013
    Hello, Everyone.
    My name is zhen.
    I am designing a board as a voltage regulator for a ultrasound imaging device, LM96550 Ultrasound Transmit Pulser- Texas Instruments

The desired function of this board is to receive a 110AC input from power source and regulate it in to 11 different DC voltages for 11 different input.
    -5V
    5V
    1.8V
    3.3V
    -55V
    50V
    -10V
    10V
    50V
    40V
    -40V
    Here is my way of doing it.

I first managed to use an ATX to convert the 110AC into 12V/5V dc, and I am planing to use LM5001 High Voltage Switch Mode Regulator (TI chip) to boost the 12V to 50V. Then i will use an linear regulator to drop the 50V voltage to 40V. (the same way to obtain the 10V from 12V and 1.8 V from 5V.
    By now, I have got 6 desired voltages.
    Except all the negative ones,

The challenging ones for me is the -55 and -40, I could not find any TI chip regulators to obtain a negative voltage as low as -55/-40.

In the mean while, i accidentally found this AN-H59DB1 demo-board which is to convert a 12VDC input to 6 different voltages. Even though those 6 voltages are close to the desired voltages and even includes a negative voltages as low as -75, but those voltages do not match perfectly to the desired voltages.
    Otherwise, i will just order it to save the trouble

I do not want/could to use any external circuit other than IC chips to do the job.
    Is there a anyway to obtain the -55 or -40 VDC?(I was suggested to use transistor to build a regulator my self, but I have trouble doing it since i am a first year EE student)

Thank you for reading this and sorry for the wall of texts.

Any advises would be really appreciated.

Zhen

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
  3. zhangz64

Thread Starter New Member

May 1, 2013
    Thank you for your advises, I think the LTC3011 is a good choice.
    Also, i am planing to use LTC®3862 to get my high positive voltages +40/+50. just because it is better performance to use product from the same company

Let us say I am able to get -55 from +12.
    Is there any chip that will allow me to get -50/-40 from -55?

Thank you very much