How to recognize wires of DC motor ?

nqchanh

Joined Dec 5, 2012
I've got a Hitachi DC servo motor which has 5 wires (besides 2 other wires in order to supply power for motor): red,green, white,yellow and black.
I guess: red wire = power & green wire = GND for encoder, white wire = A phase encoder, yellow = B phase encoder and black wire = index signal in order to determine completion of a revolution! is this right ?:)

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I've got a Hitachi DC servo motor which has 5 wires (besides 2 other wires in order to supply power for motor): red,green, white,yellow and black.
I guess: red wire = power & green wire = GND for encoder, white wire = A phase encoder, yellow = B phase encoder and black wire = index signal in order to determine completion of a revolution! is this right ?:)
Generally, encoder ground and motor- are not the same. My bet is red & black are power and ground, respectively, with the others being as you said, but I'm not sure... do you know the model number?

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I wouldn't plug in the encoder if I didn't know its pinout. My best guess would be the same as Tshuck, red is +5 and black is Gnd, and the others are outputs, but that shouldn't be guesswork. Get it wrong and you may damage the encoder. Either find a way to look it up, or open it up and figure out what the wires do.

nqchanh

Joined Dec 5, 2012
Generally, encoder ground and motor- are not the same. My bet is red & black are power and ground, respectively, with the others being as you said, but I'm not sure... do you know the model number?
it isn't printed on the label but i see some lines different from the others on the label:
+TYPE: D06D304E
+AX070008
+INS.CL: B
and the last line: "Hitachi,Ltd, tokyo,Jaban 4192C6551"
so is there the model number you want, Tshuck ? and what is "INS.CL: B" ?:)

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
so is there the model number you want, Tshuck ?
Yes, yes it is, though it may be a custom-ordered motor, so data may be hard to come by...

Is this the same thing you are seeing?

I didn't realize you had a total of 7 wires:p
Since you've already found your motor supply wires, I'd say you have the assumptions in post 1 correct, however, I read that this motor has an optional incremental encoder, so be aware of that, though it may very well be a quadrature encoder as the site I read that on was a bit sketchy....:)

and what is "INS.CL: B" ?:)
I'm afraid I have no idea...

nqchanh

Joined Dec 5, 2012
Is this the same thing you are seeing?
exactly what i've got !:)
I didn't realize you had a total of 7 wires:p
as you can see in the picture you've show, the two below biggest wire (red & black), i thinks it's for motor power supply ! and in the other group of wires, there are five differnet color wire types (red, green, black,white and yellow).As i've guessed before, red = power & green = GND for encoder supply power, white = A phase encoder & yellow = B phase encoder , but i'm not sure that black is for index signal, do u thinks so ?
and i think it's a quadrature encoder.
so be aware of that, though it may very well be a quadrature encoder as the site I read that on was a bit sketchy....:)
so could u tell me more clearly about what i should be carefull ?
and it's great if you can give me user manual or some documents about this kind of HItachi motor !
Anyway, thanks a lot for your comments !

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Does your motor mention "Ricoh" on it?

All the references I've found to that model number use a Ricoh Encoder.

Hitachi DC motor (D06D304E)
volts: 38v
Amp.: 1.9A
RPM: 3700
RICOH: P/N
output: 53W
RATING: CONT.
INS. CL.: B
Encoder: 240 Pulses/Revolution

Look at the end plate and see if it may be a different encoder and possibly a brake? The Ricoh Encoder seems to have red/black/white/blue output wires.

nqchanh

Joined Dec 5, 2012
Does your motor mention "Ricoh" on it?

All the references I've found to that model number use a Ricoh Encoder.

Look at the end plate and see if it may be a different encoder and possibly a brake? The Ricoh Encoder seems to have red/black/white/blue output wires.
the one of mine has the same line as you refered above, but would you mind answering my questions on the above post ?:)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
That is all the information I could find on google. It seems there was one sold on eBay, it's listed in a seller's feedback profile.

Shot in the dark, but finding a way to contact that seller may get the info you need. It seems rather sparse on the net, for being a relatively common motor.

I wouldn't suggest hooking up the encoder portion until the required voltage and wiring is correct, otherwise you risk destroying it.

Taking the motor apart and tracing wires is the other option.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
A quadrature encoder actually is a type of incremental encoder. It's unlikely that you'd see any other kind.
Yes, you are right! Had a brain lapse there....:p
I meant that the formatting might be different... expect quadrature but get gray code, or binary....

With so few channels, it is most likely a quadrature...

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It's a glass quadrature encoder, the 5 wire models normally have this setup for the 5 wires;

gnd wire
LEDA anode
LEDB anode
photosensorA collector
photosensorB collector

The two LEDs can be found with a multimeter on diode test as they will have about a 1.2v Vf voltage to the ground wire.

The two sensor wires will usually read open circuit. To test them I feed a current regulated 10mA or so into both LEDs (you can do that with 5v supply and two resistors), then tie the other two sensor wires to +5v through high value resistors generally about 39k - 56k. Then as the shaft is turned the sensor outputs will vary between a logic level range 1v-4.5v or so.

nqchanh

Joined Dec 5, 2012
as i've mention, my dc motor has the folowing infor:
i've done many searches on internet but can still not find any infor about function of wires on the motor. So i really hope that someone can give me the answer !
there are two wire groups on my motor:
+first group: 2 big wire: rea & black => i think they are power supply wires for motor
+second group: 6 wires ( 2 black, 1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow & 1 white) => they make me confused, how can i test to determine the function of each among the wires ? which for A/B channel encoder, which for Index, which for supplying power for encoder ?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Thanks Shortbus. :)

+second group: 6 wires ( 2 black, 1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow & 1 white) => they make me confused, how can i test to determine the function of each among the wires ? which for A/B channel encoder, which for Index, which for supplying power for encoder ?
That sounds right, but has 2 ground wires (the black ones) instead of one shared ground wire.

Please see what I posted above, it should not be hard to test the wires and find the two wires that are the LEDs, and the two wires that are the sensor outputs.