How to print schematic

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Hi all I got a problem with printing a schematic, its in a PDF file and its too large. I have a inkjet printer so its not possible to print that large schematic, so I want to print it part by part on an A4 size paper and then I will join it. Now I want to know how you people do this kind of job. By Google search I found some utilities which can print a large photo part by part like Posteriza but they all take picture format like JPG but my schematic is in a PDF file and extracting the image was not possible as I tried Photoshop but the schematic didn’t extracted well as its not an image, its created using lines, so how can I do it any idea. :confused:

Thanks

Edit : Problem Solved
Adobe Reader 11 have a poster function for printing,using it any body can print a single image/page on multiple pages.

Good Luck

Last edited:

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
In those cases, I print selected area, or current view. After that it's cut and paste in real life. :eek: With scissors and scotch tape from 3M.

Inquisitive

Joined Nov 12, 2011
I take it printing to a A1 ( 841 x 594 mm or 33.1 x 23.4 in ) is not an option?

Adobe Acrobat will do what you are wanting.

You did not mention which operating system (OS) you are using. I presume your on a Windows machine? But there is other software in Ubuntu or in Windows that will do the trick.

I'd suggest you google/search for "pdf readers, viewers, editors".

Snapshot views of drawing sections is common practise in the drafting business when you just need a blow-up of a detail.

Worst case scenario you could use a screen capture program, also

But, both will work.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Option 1)
Some printers (HP inkjet, for example) have a "posterize" function that lets you enlarge and print across multiple pages (2x2 or 3x3)

Option 2)
Copy sections with the "screen shot" (ALT + "print screen") and paste them onto a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. Excel automatically paginates for multiple pages when printing and gives a few millimeters of overlap on each page.

You can also try to simply select, and copy the whole PDF within Adobe PDF viewer but I suggested the "print screen" method in case the PDF is protected.

Final suggestion,
Aligning your pages perfectly is very difficult since most circuit drawings only have verticals and horizontal lines. To simplify this part, draw 1 cm circles (no fill) on the excel sheet where pages will be divided. Circle segments are very easy to physically cut and tape with good alignment in x- and y. Note, you will have to trim the bottom and right side of each page to the print margin and keep these trimmed edges to the top when taping. If you have a light table or large window, alignment becomes easy when using standard office paper.

Cheers
Now,

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Sorry for the late responce

bertus said:
Could you shrink the page to fit the A4?
No,if I do so ,the image will be shrinked and I will be not able to view anything.
The actual size of the schematic is 16.54 by 11.69 inch.

nerdegutta said:
In those cases, I print selected area, or current view. After that it's cut and paste in real life. :eek: With scissors and scotch tape from 3M.
Well if I don't find any way out then I will do that and while doing it I will remember only you...

Inquisitive said:
Adobe Acrobat will do what you are wanting.
You did not mention which operating system (OS) you are using. I presume your on a Windows machine? But there is other software in Ubuntu or in Windows that will do the trick.
I'd suggest you google/search for "pdf readers, viewers, editors".
Snapshot views of drawing sections is common practise in the drafting business when you just need a blow-up of a detail.
Worst case scenario you could use a screen capture program, also
But, both will work.
I know that but I don't have Adobe Acrobat.My OS is Windows XP ,I have Ubuntu Live CD but their I cant install my HP inkjet printer...driver problem.It is better to print current view from adobe reader than using screen capture program.I need a better solution

@GopherT
My HP printer do not have any "posterize" function ...as far I can see in the page setup

I need a better solution guys

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
My copy of Adobe Reader (10.1.4) has a "Poster" option in the print window which I believe will allow you to print a single sheet to multiple copies. You do that by changing the "Scale" factor as needed. For example, 100% give an output completed picture (taped together) that is equal in resolution to the original sized paper. An original 11 x 17 schematic would thus take two 8 1/2 x 11 sheets to make an 11 x 17.

Last edited:

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Well my problem is solved I just downloaded Adobe Reader 11 .As crutschow said from Adobe Reader 10 they have a Poster function which can be used...

Thanks everybody

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I use Post It notes on front to align the sheets and scotch tape on back to permanently attach the sheets. Post It notes do not leave any residue. I've been using Print Shop for decades to make really large posters (for special events, such as robotic combat events).

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Good idea of using "Post-it-note" but I am using simple A4 size paper ,its working for me..
Do "Print Shop" support PDF files ?

Thanks