How to power a 50 Watt 34V Chip LED super cheap?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Craig Nash, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Craig Nash

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 30, 2016
    I broke my phone a few days ago, just the outside of the screen, so touch is dead on it, but the rest of it works just fine, including the LCD. So, I have wanted to do a DIY HD LED Projector for a LONG time, and here we go. I was able to get the backlight off the LCD, and have it all ready to go, I ordered some mirrors, Fresnel lenses, and etc, and then I went in search of an LED to light it, I am trying to do this as CHEAP as possible, I am on medical leave right now from an accident I was in, so funds are tight and I am VERY bored. Anyways, I have experience with LASER Diodes, but not much with LED's, and am an IT Network Engineer by trade, not an electrical engineer. I hit Amazon and found a 50 Watt Super Bright LED CHIP for like $2... and it is 4,000 Lumens, PERFECT! I am just gonna hookup an old water cooled processor cooler I have. Now, I have to power it, and I am not familiar with LED drivers, and I am hoping I can just find the parts to power it for free by cannibalizing things. Here are the specs on the LED:

50W Cool /Warm White LED Cool White Bulb High Power Energy Saving Lamp Panel Chip (Cool White)
    • Drive Voltage:30-34V;Chip power:50w
    • Size (L*D):50mm*45mm Viewing Angle: 140 degree
    • Color Tempreture: Cool White 6000-6500K
    • Luminous(lv):4000-5000lm

I was curious if I could just use an Ac-DC Power adapter, like I have a 40 Watt Laptop adapter for a Lenovo Yoga? I read a little, and I think that the volts have to match also? Also, if I just hook up power, and LED will draw more power as it warms up, right? Then it will just keep getting hotter and pulling more voltage over and over until it dies, right? So, is there anything laying around that I can cannibalize to use as a driver? I do have a soldering iron, but I am JUST getting into electronics. Would an old DC power brick for whatever random stuff I have laying around work if I just cut the jack off the back and hooked it straight to the LED, as long as it was under 50 Watt / 34 Volt? Or do I need resistors and etc?

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    LEDs are funny things. They need at least a certain voltage before they'll give out much light, but overdo it and they fry. Random power bricks won't do the job. You really need a power source which can provide a (preferably adjustable) constant current of no more than 50W/34V = 1.47A (absolute maximum) at at least 32V.

3. Craig Nash

Aug 30, 2016
    Ok, any recommendations on the cheapest and easiest way to make one, or am I better off dropping $10-15 on Amazon? The phone I am using was free to start with, so hate to spend any more and I still need to buy lenses and mirrors, though if it works well, I can always invest in a larger LCD I suppose and save money in the long run. After doing some reading, is this as simple as taking a wall wart that is near the power I need and then adding in resistors to drop it to exactly what I need, or do I need to go a bit more advanced? Would it be possible to get a 1.5 Amp USB Charger work also?

Another quick question, this is an Energy Saver LED Chip, and from reading, it looks like it runs at half the Lumens in low-energy mode, is that simply after giving it less power, or do I have to do something specific to change between normal and power save mode?

While I am posting, any recommendations on lenses?

4. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    You won't make a suitable constant current source cheaper than you can buy one. Can't advise on the lenses.

5. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
  6. Craig Nash

Aug 30, 2016
    I was actually looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_dp_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AKFXA5SBNHIA
    • High power 50W led chip and driver for DIY
    • You can use to work with 110V power .
    • Pretty size and shape to make you feel convenient to work with other fittings
    • 50W Wattage led chip bulb decorate your green and energy-saving life
    This would work right? I am going to use the LED I have coming as it is much brighter, and have this as a backup. So basically, I just hook an outlet to the input and the output wires to the LED? I am also looking to see if I can find Heatsink/Driver/Condenser Lens all-in-one kit, although, could I also get a 50W flood light for $20, pull out the LED in it and put mine in? I probably want a better heatsink though, just trying to make this as simple with as few individual parts. In theory, this projector should work pretty good, if it kicks off wel with my phone, I think I will spring for a raspberry pi LCD or maybe even a 7" 2k or 4k LCD.