How to output an Ultrasonic Square wave?

Electronicsrookie

Joined Nov 28, 2010
Hi all,
I am currently working on a circuit which aims at producing an ultrasonic sound wave(square) as output. Basically, I (will)use a 555 to produce the wave and amplify(LM358) it to my speaker.
Before purchasing components, I've tried to output such a wave(from an Arduino Uno) to a piezo element. The problem is I hear it(technically not possible).
After consulting the data sheet of the piezo element, I've learnt that it outputs from 1khz to 10khz, so I presume it was emitting on this limit.
My problem is how to output the sound; a real speaker or a tweeter? I plan on using a 9v battery. What component can I use, bearing in mind that the power supply?

Your help is much appreciated,
The Rookie xD

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Using a piezo element on this will not work in ultrasonic frequencies, you will need an ultrasonic transducer to accomplish this.... and also, to increase the "output" power of the transducer, drive it with an RS232 to TTL converter IC, have the signal going into one of the TTL TX pins, then connect the Transducer to the RS232 side of the IC.

Electronicsrookie

Joined Nov 28, 2010
@Wayneh Sorry. I was thinking about 22khz maximum.
@BMorse. Ok. But could working at 22khz not have alternative devices? I've seen circuits where people mention the piezo buzzer. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The so-called "cool mist" humidifiers use an ultrasonic circuit to atomize the water. It must deliver a fair amount of power to accomplish that. I don't know what you're doing, but maybe that's of interest. They're pretty cheap.

Electronicsrookie

Joined Nov 28, 2010
@Wayneh Actually I'm in the brainstorming phase of a very simple project. I want to build a circuit that outputs a sinewave of 22khz through a speaker. You might have guessed it's use(insects repeller. ;)) Thanks for your kind advice. I've been looking at options for generating the wave, wien, maybe even a PIC(waste :/). Could you suggest alternatives based on the fact that I intend to power it from a 9v battery? Thanks again.
@crutshow Thanks for the advice. I've looked it up and came up with the 1/2" dome tweeter element. Can I send my wave directly to it, or do I need a driver? And will it work based on my 9v supply(battery)? Your help is much appreciated. :)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
@crutshow Thanks for the advice. I've looked it up and came up with the 1/2" dome tweeter element. Can I send my wave directly to it, or do I need a driver? And will it work based on my 9v supply(battery)? Your help is much appreciated. :)
Depends upon the output power you want. Driving an 8 ohm speaker directly from a 555 (through a large series capacitor to eliminate DC bias) operating from a 9V supply will generate a few hundred milliwatts into the speaker. If you want more than that you will need a driver and perhaps a higher voltage supply (depending upon the power needed).