how to offset voltage in a instrumentation differential amplifier

rhodes

Joined Mar 10, 2010
hi everybody,

i would like to know how to offset a 28mV voltage to zero, that is present at the output of an instrumentation differential amplifier built with LM324 IC .I was suggested to use the output of 28mV as an input to a another amplifier to obtain an offest ,,, I really dont know how to proceed with that idea ?any suggestions would be appreciated. thnks in advance!!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The image did not come across. Try the "Go Advanced" button, and look for "manage attachments". Posting in PNG format is very clear.

Sight unseen, though, the 28 mv offset is probably due to unmatched resistors and the rather elderly LM324. Using a modern instrument amplifier might eliminate that problem.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Funny post.
I just looked at the data sheet.
Guess what? OP is trying to replace the original with a low quality one.
Any one can see clearly the IC no. used.

Some People try the impossible. Tsk. Tsk.

rhodes

Joined Mar 10, 2010
Could I atleast try to get some positive feedback from you people to proceed with my project ( which consists of building sensor circuits to measure output power, speed and torque of a testing rig generator) ..have you got suggestions on any other chipor circuit other than lm324 and lm741 for amplifying the data from the load cell and reduce offset in that measurement ,instead of making fun... so i could get some knowledge from this forum

thanks

rhodes

Joined Mar 10, 2010
Could I atleast try to get some positive feedback from you people to proceed with my project ( which consists of building sensor circuits to measure output power, speed and torque of a testing rig generator) ..have you got suggestions on any other chipor circuit other than lm324 and lm741 for amplifying the data from the load cell and have no offset in that circuit ,instead of making fun... so i could get some knowledge from this forum

thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Certainly.

Please read at least the first few pages of this Application Note:
http://www.intersilsemi.com/data/an/an1298.pdf
It explains why it's so futile to try to build one yourself.

Have a look at the INA122 and INA128 instrumentation amplifiers by Texas Instruments/Burr Brown.

Note that the INA128 requires a dual supply, as it is not rail-to-rail. However, it's priced quite competitively.

You really get what you pay for with instrumentation amplifiers. You really can't hope to "roll your own" instrumentation amplifier that's anywhere near as good. It's OK if you're just doing it as a learning exercise. But once you've learned how difficult it really is to get good operating characteristics, you'll appreciate how good the purpose-built instrumentation amplifiers really are.