How to multiplex?

Merlysys

Joined Nov 17, 2013
I am trying to build a little circuit to help measure voltages at various points of projects I build. Any links to similar circuits will help.

The project circuit (PrC) will connect circuit under test (CuT) to a DMM + lead

So...
Inputs to the PrC are from CuT
Output is to a DMM's + lead

PrC will have up to 20 momentary push buttons, normally open.
When one of those 20 buttons, say button A, is pressed-
current to flow between corresponding input (A) and DMM+ (so latching is required)
an LED (3mm type will do) next to it will light up stay lit

This state will only change when a different button, say button D, is pressed, then circuit A will open and circuit D will close. Pressing button for currently active circuit will make it open but this feature is not necessary if it leads to more complexity/components.

Each line will carry under 100mA, under 12VDC. Resistance to be as close to zero as possible.

I looked into relays as they have the lowest resistance, but are there better ways?
Are there boards already built with some/all of these features sold on ebay etc.?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
how simple do you want it..
You could always just use a switch for each circuit before the meter. flip the switch and its reading.. then close it and flip another. no "circuits" required.
or a mechanically linked multiswitch would do exactly what you want again without any circuitry..
or just use banana jacks on each uut and plug them in one at a time.

relays will work fine too.. contact resistance is low.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you want minimum connection resistance (< 1Ω) then I would use a relay. Here are some ideas on how to design a radio push-button circuit (which is what you want) which can be used to control your 20 relays.

Note that I believe there's an error in the circuit using the 4017 (you could use two 4017's to control 20 relays) so if you want to use that approach, I can suggest a correction.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What is the point of avoiding a few ohms of resistance when you are measuring voltage with a DMM that uses 10s of meg ohms input resistance.

What voltage range are your signals and what are the driving? Will a set of dumb switches work? If you have a bunch of low voltage 24vdc or less circuits, I would go to the hardware store and buy a bunch of mains switches - 10 for $4.90

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15...10-Pack-Light-Almond-M26-01451-2TM/100684041/

Cheers.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
As GopherT noted, if you are measuring the voltage with a high input resistance voltmeter, then the small resistance of typical analog switches will not significantly affect your measurement accuracy. That way you can build an all solid-state circuit (except for the switches of course) which would be smaller and more reliable than one using relays. For example a CD4066 has 4 analog switches in one package.

What is the highest voltage and polarity you want to measure?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
To simplify, instead of using push-buttons, you could use a rotary switch such as this, which is a single-pole multiple-throw switch, to select the channel. That requires no additional circuitry -- all you need is the switch.

Last edited: