How to mount miniature tuning capacitor

tobyw

Joined Mar 21, 2013
What's the best way to mount one of these things on a circuit board or in an enclosure?

Miniature tuning capacitor

A lot of these things have threaded holes, but this doesn't. Only way I can think of is to hot glue or superglue it...but it seems a bit permanent and drastic.

Is there a trick?,

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Not real sure but, isn't that the job of the small round pins on the bottom? If they arent a part of the electrical connections a separate isolated pad will be needed in the board layout, for each pin.then the pin is soldered to that pad.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Those four pins, haven't they 0,2 of an inch separation? If so, you could consider asembling it as common components.

Just for you to know a possible way, where your imagination plays an important role, google for "ugly style" and "Manhattan style" what is common practice for amateurs into RF. Essentially you solder everything.

Some months ago I assembled a wideband amplifier using kind of Manhattan style and worked on then first try. The nice part of it that could start laying things on the board mimicking the schematic, provided it's reasonably drawn.

Planning things on paper, more or less to scale, does help a lot. Be brave and go. Just a word of caution: when placing the "islands" with super glue, keep in mind that setting is too fast. No changes of mind at the last moment. Been there, done that...:confused:

/edit
Rereading what shortbus posted, it is essentially what I am trying to say. Sorry.
/edit

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
For AM it is not that much critical.

Actually you can solder such components to proto PCBs.
Just use them upside down.

You can still mount some components on the other side.

Otherwise, you can also drill holes easily into cheap proto PCBs without a drill. Screwdriver or a cutter knife.

For epoxy PCBs, you need a real electric drill.

If you want to use an enclosure, the PCB needs to match. You can also use a small carrier PCB for that component. It's not a problem for AM frequency.