How to Monitor Current Flow

bsfrye

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I want to monitor the amount of current being drawn by a DC motor. What is the easiest way to do this? I have a Microcontroller with analog input... Any ideas?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It's easier with some idea if the magnitude of the current.

In general, a small value resistor in series with the motor will develop a voltage proportional to the current. After suitable amplification, you can read it with a meter or input it to a uC.

bsfrye

Joined Feb 20, 2009
That chip (ACS712) looks promising. But would be nice if I could just use a resistor as beenthere was saying - Under normal operation my circuit will draw up to about 2 amps. However, my dc motor will stall and draw up to 5 -7. All operating on 6 volts... So how do I hookup a resistor to this and what value should I choose? My microcontroller has a 0 - 5vdc ADC on it.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Be aware that high voltage spikes may be developed across the current sense resistor and destroy your circuitry.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
Just a few more words. You could use a special IC but a low side sense resistor of about .1 ohms should convert the current to a measurable voltage. An op amp amplifier ( with cap filer and or diode snubbers ) can be used to boost/shift voltage to one sutiable for the ADC in the PIC. Use a 5 v single supply rail to rail op amp, and you will have a fairly easy time.