How to modify signal from Speedometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremywrags

Joined Nov 30, 2012
Hi All,

I am thinking of a DIY project for my Jeep that will modify the speedometer signal before it hits the Jeeps computer as to correct the speed for the offset of bigger tires and alterd gearing.

There is a commercial product HealTech SpeedoHealer but it's a little expensive and since I know enough to be dangerous about the Arduino I figured why not play with a solution myself...

So here is what I know.

1. There is a Sensor on my transfer case that has 3 Wires coming out of it.
a. Red = 5v constant
b. Black = Ground
c. White = ? I am assuming that this is the singal that represents speed
2. Inside the sensor is a gear that I could change if I didnt want to do this project

I assume that the transfer case spins the gear and the sensor generates some sort of signal based on the number of teeth that the gear has.

OK... I am a programmer but have very limited electronics knowledge. Can someone explain to me what the characteristics of that signal would probably be and perhaps how I might change it using an arduino?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
tshuck is right. The moderators/administrators on this forum have chosen not to allow automotive modifications due to the possibility of mistakes that can lead to injury, or possible legal issues. Due to this decision, don't be offended if this thread gets closed.

Regards,
Matt

jeremywrags

Joined Nov 30, 2012
Fair enough on the safety issue, thanks for the heads up. As for going to the dealer of course I could but what would be the fun in that. The whole point of this is to learn a little and solve a comon problem myself.

Rather than asking for help in modifying the signal could I ask someone to explain what the signal characteristics would look like for monitoring. I am thinking it would just be a square wave with a frequency that represented the rate at which the gear turned? Does that sound right and if so could I use the Arduino to do an analogRead to measure the frequency?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I am thinking it would just be a square wave with a frequency that represented the rate at which the gear turned? Does that sound right
Being totally uninformed, that is the first thing I would expect as well
and if so could I use the Arduino to do an analogRead to measure the frequency?
Being partially uninformed, I would say probably not. I believe the arduino measures on time vs. off time for the analogread function. I do not believe it measures frequency.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Fair enough on the safety issue, thanks for the heads up. As for going to the dealer of course I could but what would be the fun in that. The whole point of this is to learn a little and solve a comon problem myself.

Rather than asking for help in modifying the signal could I ask someone to explain what the signal characteristics would look like for monitoring. I am thinking it would just be a square wave with a frequency that represented the rate at which the gear turned? Does that sound right and if so could I use the Arduino to do an analogRead to measure the frequency?
Well, if it is, indeed, an encoder output, analogRead() is the wrong way to go...it is a digital signal... you'd need to relate encoder frequency to wheel velocity... it's a proportion...

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

Bertus