How to mechanise scissors?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by urb-nurd, Jul 15, 2014.

1. urb-nurd

Thread Starter Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Hey guys, i am trying to come up with a method for allowing hand held scissors (or trimmers) to be fitted to a sleeve of some sorts that would allow for a foot pedal to operate the cutting action.

i have considered fixing one leg, then putting a slidable sleeve on the other and using a motor to open and close the scissors - however i am not sure how well this would work.
    Would a strong solenoid be a better option? or some sort of rapid linear actuator?

sorry for the rough description but i am not really to sure how i can achieve the motion i desire.

thanks!

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    The question is why? What are you trying to do with them that can't be done with currently available powered scissors and shears?

John

3. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Look at hand activated lawn trimmers. The one with long handle. For use while standing.

I don't have one to look at right now. Remember working on mom's and it was a marvel.

It's basically a scissors.

And this.......................

[​IMG]

4. urb-nurd

Thread Starter Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Yeah, i figured that sort of set up could work.

Also the purpose is to allow someone who is a fan of a certain type of herb trimmer, to place their trimmers in a device to mechanise them.

i am aware of other commercial units however this is just a project

5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    http://www.handworker.com/pdfs/HandWorker.pdf
    and numerous other off the shelf devices..

as far as your question you MUST fix one handle or there is no guarantee of it closing in the same orientation each time.
    the handworker device above has a section to "fix" one handle and then 2 opposing rollers that go around each side (inner and outer) of the other handle to allow it to move as its opening/closing.

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    After hearing your intended use there is NO way that a fixed (benchmount) unit will be faster/better.. and speed is important for that and you need to rotate the tool not the plant.
    There are numerous battery powered hand held trimmers that would work perfectly and give you the rotation/dexterity needed for the job.

7. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Herb trimming? :eek:

8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Depending on the thickness of your 'herbs', you could try a hair clipper instead of a scissor action. You can pick up a kit at walmart for $15-$20.

9. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Bosch Isio - or a DIY version of that approach. It wouldn't be too hard to cut some blades from gauge plate.

[​IMG]

Sorry - couldn't get the image to resize

10. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    This would be more appropriate for "herb" trimming.. I'd think so anyways :)
    [​IMG]

11. urb-nurd

Thread Starter Member

Jul 9, 2014
    thanks for all the replies guys.

im trying to make a trimmer that will allow me to use the snips i already have, and just automate the handles rather than buy another type of cutter.
    i like the quality and accessibility of these snips and quite a few people have told me they would prefer this set up to creating my own blades.

im going to have to try get a small motor and use that with some metal brackets to fix one leg and actuate the other.
    one issue i have is how to create a sliding cip for the handle...

i think this is a experimental deal - ill have to get a motor and some parts and mess about.