How to measure the transient response of a capacitor

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The different materials with the same capacitance values have different charging times to "REACH" the peak voltage
Again, what do you mean by "reach" the peak voltage? Why won't you provide a simple sketch of the measurement you are trying to describe?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The different materials with the same capacitance values have different charging times to "REACH" the peak voltage

So, you are claiming that all the equations of capacitance are actually not correct because there is no coefficient for the material of the capacitor? Could you please point me to the list of coefficients for each material and how the equations should be changed?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Could you please point me to the list of coefficients for each material and how the equations should be changed?
It's what happens when using real components, it's not in a text book or college class. Yes there is co-efficient's for each material because they are made differently and "react" differently.

There is Dipped, WET, molded, metallized. These are co-efficient's to factor in also.

Could you please point me to the list of coefficients for each material and how the equations should be changed?
I'm just stating my observation, but yes point me to the list also or maybe I'm wrong

Maybe you guys are right and there is no difference and there is no such thing a capacitors having a transient response. I'm 100% wrong

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Ronv ,
isn't that measuring the transient response of a capacitor or the charging time of a capacitor? some people don't know the difference between the two or think they are the same thing. Do you know the difference between the terms

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
They are the same. The transient is the step in voltage and the response is the voltage across the capacitor. The RC changes depending on the transient response. Or are you thinking about frequency response?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
The transient is the step in voltage and the response is the voltage across the capacitor.
Can you please explain more about the "step in voltage" and the response is the voltage across the capacitor

how can i use a Universal counter to measure the capacitor transient response? I set the gate hold time to what on the universal counter and the start and stop times

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Ronv ,
isn't that measuring the transient response of a capacitor or the charging time of a capacitor? some people don't know the difference between the two or think they are the same thing. Do you know the difference between the terms
Since you are questioning whether people understand the difference in what you mean by those terms, why won't you define what you mean by these two terms? Is that so much to ask?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
QUOTE]Or are you thinking about frequency response?[/QUOTE]

No, not at all

Charging time means: you're measuring the charging time of the capacitor + an external resistor = RXC = time constant

Transient Response means: you're measuring the charging time of just the capacitor + ESR + ESL + Leakage = Time constant or you're measuring how long it takes for the capacitor to "REACH" the peak voltage of the inputs step voltage. *** THERE IS NO EXTERNAL RESISTOR USED***

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Now that you have finally defined your question, you measure it with an oscilloscope and a square wave generator. Do you need someone to tell you what a square wave generator is?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
QUOTE]Or are you thinking about frequency response?
No, not at all

Charging time means: you're measuring the charging time of the capacitor + an external resistor = RXC = time constant

Transient Response means: you're measuring the charging time of just the capacitor + ESR + ESL + Leakage = Time constant or you're measuring how long it takes for the capacitor to "REACH" the peak voltage of the inputs step voltage. *** THERE IS NO EXTERNAL RESISTOR USED***[/QUOTE]
You might be able to calculate it using your method, but you can't measure it because the resistor now becomes the ESR of the capacitor and is inside of it.. Usually transient response relates to a circuit.
Step in voltage is as you say. Change the voltage from 0 to 1 or 1 to zero and measure the voltage across the capacitor. Like in the pictures I posted.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
QUOTE]Or are you thinking about frequency response?[

No, not at all

Chdarging time means: you're measuring the charging time of the capacitor + an external resistor = RXC = time constant

Transient Response means: you're measuring the charging time of just the capacitor + ESR + ESL + Leakage = Time constant or you're measuring how long it takes for the capacitor to "REACH" the peak voltage of the inputs step voltage. *** THERE IS NO EXTERNAL RESISTOR USED***
When you reply to anyone then you should adding their ID that it will easily to identify whom you reply to.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
ok I will scottwang but how do you add their ID?

RONV said:
You might be able to calculate it using your method, but you can't measure it because the resistor now becomes the ESR of the capacitor and is inside of it.. Usually transient response relates to a circuit.
Yes the transient response relates to a circuit, like measuring the input and output of an IC logic gate. In inject a clean logic step input and the output of the logic gate will be charging to the peak voltage in nanoseconds to the logic step input voltage. This is the transient response of a IC logic gate test.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I know I'm very late to the party, but isn't this whole thread about measuring ESR, the impedance of the capacitor, at some defined frequency? Use an ESR meter. You don't need any fancy method to analyze the time profile of voltage.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I know I'm very late to the party, but isn't this whole thread about measuring ESR, the impedance of the capacitor, at some defined frequency? Use an ESR meter. You don't need any fancy method to analyze the time profile of voltage.
TS first defined his use of ESR in post #32.
We've all been waiting that long for him to define what he wanted to measure.