How to measure the back emf of a DC motor?

cornishlad

Joined Jul 31, 2013
The op is using a BC547 to switch the motor. 100ma max collector current. That would imply the motor is tiny and is working through a gearbox to get 60rpm. So..if it is a permanent magnet motor capable of generating dc when spinning, there would appear to be very little inertia and and also friction from the box when 12v drive is removed. I can imagine such a motor stopping very quickly giving little time to measure the BEMF. and it's steadily ramping down so good luck trying to get anything sensible from a DMM

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hey i tried this didn't work, can you please elaborate about the connections?
Sorry Pratik but if you ask me, please don't. I am the less qualified here to suggest anything about this. What I wrote there was my surprised provisory conclusion about a subject that has been always close to a mistery and hard to grasp.

I am following your thread with real interest. BTW, Max IS the guy who.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One way of detecting the operating voltage if unknown of a DC motor is to back feed it at the rated rpm and read the resultant DC.
Max.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I guess my post was too subtle... Connect it to DC, spin it up, and break the connection to the power supply leaving the scope probe connected to the motor. As you disconnect the power supply, the motor voltage will instantly drop to its BEMF voltage which will decay as the motor spins down...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
But that has pretty much been common fact that a free running (no load) PM motor, whether DC or 3 phase will generate a voltage who's level will be equal to the applied voltage that will cause an equivalent rpm. (minus a few losses).
Max.

Pratik_S

Joined Apr 14, 2015
Hey i tried by connecting this circuit on the DSO (Digital Storage Oscilloscope) . Didn't see any sudden or instantaneous voltage drop after removing the supply voltage. Some 10mv fluctuations and this drop as seen in the attached file once the supply voltage is taken off.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you have a gear box attached, especially if high ratio, the rpm will drop drastically when power is removed due to the braking action of the G.B.
Remember a reverse acting diode will only come into play for any voltage that is a reverse of the applied or self generating voltage.
Is this a purely academic exercise?
Max.

Pratik_S

Joined Apr 14, 2015
If you have a gear box attached, especially if high ratio, the rpm will drop drastically when power is removed due to the braking action of the G.B.
Remember a reverse acting diode will only come into play for any voltage that is a reverse of the applied or self generating voltage.
Is this a purely academic exercise?
Max.
The diode is been put to eliminate the reverse current . This is actually a research exercise in which this is my task , how to measure and hence what is to be done to eliminate it.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The DSO picture in post #30 shows the decay of the BEMF perfectly. The decay looks like a RC time constant. The motor has stopped by the time the voltage is zero.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The polarity of the BEMF is the same polarity of the applied voltage. Think about it: when the motor is running, the BEMF polarity subtracts from the applied voltage so as to reduce the running current of the motor. An instant after you suddenly disconnect the applied voltage, the BEMF is still there because the shaft is spinning. As the motor spins down, the BEMF decays to zero. The motor is acting as a tachometer.

Pratik_S

Joined Apr 14, 2015
@MaxHeadRoom[/USER] I also came across this method of coupling two identical dc motors , connecting one motor to the supply voltage and the other should be connected to the voltmeter. The voltage we get on the voltmeter is the Back emf of the motor. My question here is how to couple the motor? I tried by coupling their shafts but didn't see any output on the DVM. What coupling method should be used . Is this the correct method?

Attachments

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This is what is meant in post#24 as back feeding, if these are P.M. motors you should see an output from the driven motor.
DC for brushed, or AC for BLDC etc.
If both motors are identical, the output of the driven should almost equal the applied voltage of the driver.
Max.