How to measure RF Transformers

AJMetal87

Joined Mar 15, 2013
I am trying to do performance testing for this transformer next to the RJ45 to determine whether it is good or not. i do not have much knowledge on the networking side of electronics so any tips or tricks will help, i have a DMM, LCR, and O-scope for measuring equipment! We have multiple transformer brands so please disregard the brand of component, i just need a general answer

Attachments

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
I am trying to do performance testing for this transformer next to the RJ45 to determine whether it is good or not. i do not have much knowledge on the networking side of electronics so any tips or tricks will help, i have a DMM, LCR, and O-scope for measuring equipment! We have multiple transformer brands so please disregard the brand of component, i just need a general answer
I suggest taking it out of the circuit and using an ohm meter to make sure it is neither shorted nor open.

AJMetal87

Joined Mar 15, 2013
where on the transformer should i measure across? since there are 16 pins. pin 16 and 14 are the secondary of the transmit side and pins 11 and 9 are the secondary of the receiving side? pins 1, 2 and 3 are the primary of the transmit side and pins 6, 7 and 8 are the primary of the recieving side. we typically deal with the pulse model. here is the data sheet http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data S...0BASE-T Single Port SMD Magnetics_Rev2008.pdf

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
I would measure between pins 1 and 3, then 1 and 2
then pins 16 and 14
then pins 6 and 8 then 6 and 7
then pins 11 and 9

If there is some resistance, good, if not there is an open circuit.