how to measure neck movement?

hvc123

Joined Aug 2, 2012
how can i detect the right side, left side, forward and backward movement of the neck??? can i use strain gauge transducer? then which type of strain gauge is used for detecting the movement of the neck??

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
There is no strain gauge "specifically" intended for neck measurements.

Any one that will allow the desired resolution/accuracy might be used coupled to a mechanical structure that is fixed to the user to allow measurements to be made.

Since you posted NO detailed information or specifics NO suggestions can be provided.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Like mcgyvr said no specifics given to what your doing. But you could look toward using a simple 'joy stick' like used in gaming. Making a device to anchor the base to the body and a link to a head attachment to the "stick" part. This would then record movement but not force. A strain gauge is usually for force.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Duct tape an iPod to a cap and wear the cap. The iPod's excellent accelerometer will give an output showing the 3D orientation (roll and pitch). You may need something else like a compass for yaw.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Duct tape an iPod to a cap and wear the cap. The iPod's excellent accelerometer will give an output showing the 3D orientation (roll and pitch). You may need something else like a compass for yaw.
or android phone.. Not all of us overpay just for trendy branding :p

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
how can i detect the right side, left side, forward and backward movement of the neck??? can i use strain gauge transducer? then which type of strain gauge is used for detecting the movement of the neck??

I'm not sure what you're asking, so I'll guess a guitar neck?

I always used dial indicators for that.:confused:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Not all of us overpay just for trendy branding :p
None of us do. The world's largest company didn't get that way by following a strategy of "over"charging for "trendy branding". It's a dud of a strategy except for maybe women's fashions. ;)

hvc123

Joined Aug 2, 2012
i want to measure the movement of neck only... like joy stick used in power wheelchair...? i want same function for neck...

hvc123

Joined Aug 2, 2012
as robot will moves according to the remote switching... i want to move that according to head movement. like if i bend my neck in forward direction..robot will also moves forward... so any ideas pls???

vrainom

Joined Sep 8, 2011
Do you want a mechanical device or an electronic one? Because seriously nothing would beat a triaxis accelerometer interfaced to an mcu, standalone with an lcd or arduino if you want an easy pc interface.

Search for it with its break out board on ebay if you're interested.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Do you want a mechanical device or an electronic one? Because seriously nothing would beat a triaxis accelerometer interfaced to an mcu, standalone with an lcd or arduino if you want an easy pc interface.

Search for it with its break out board on ebay if you're interested.
Vrainom totally beat me to it. I agree 100%. https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/80?:// is a reference to accelerometer modules that may be appropriate.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
as robot will moves according to the remote switching... i want to move that according to head movement. like if i bend my neck in forward direction..robot will also moves forward... so any ideas pls???
Robot commands may not need precise positioning. Unless it is for an artificial arm... Just for directional control, as I use in my robot, three or four levels (if not just one) may be sufficient. The OP would need to clarify.

Not trying to be argumentative, Kubrick. :) I actually agree with you. Just putting my response in perspective. I had the same argument with friend developing a remote control iPhone app for my robot, who wanted to give me thousand of updates a second. When I needed much less.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Microchip just announced some microcontrollers with "gesture sensing" inputs. I have no idea exactly how it works but sounds like the direction of the future.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
pls suggest me another idea...
Here's an idea - tell us why my first two suggestions don't work for you.

You said you want to measure neck position. That would normally require at least 3 axes, plus a lot more if you want absolute position and not just relative position. Then you mentioned a joystick, which is generally a 2D device.

My point is, we don't know what you need. Size, cost, weight, power supply, technical requirements. These are all needed to produce a design.