How to Measure KiloVolts (DC) ?

SteveM99

Joined Feb 10, 2011
I could use your collective expertise in trying to figure out how to safely measure up to +10KV by "piping" it through a Bud Box (Aluminium).

I have a High Voltage Probe (rated +40KV)/ DVM combo.

The Power Supply has a High Voltage Cable coming out of it that I plug into the box. The Probe plugs into the Bud Box also (with the appropriate High Voltage connector spliced in).

Inside the box, the High Voltage input is wired directly to the Probe Terminals.

The idea is for the Operator to walk around (multiple stations) with the Bud Box/Probe/DVM, plug in the a Power Supply and measure the High Voltage.

First attempt failed when I turned on the Supply.... Arcing like crazy inside the box. I thought I had enough spacing inside the Box... how far can HV jump? What is the best way to insulate? Or use a non-conductive box?

Appreciate any help.

mlog

Joined Feb 11, 2012
Corona discharge can occur at sharp points or sharp edges. Make sure the arcing isn't due to sharp points or very sharp bends in the circuit wiring.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're engaged in a dangerous activity with insufficient knowledge and experience. I hope we don't have to nominate you for a Darwin Award.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
According to this reference, 10kV can jump 0.85cm from a sharp point. A plastic box would probably be better for safety. Another approach is to fill the inside of the box with a potting compound.