How to measure current to not burn out supply or components

booboo

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Hi everybody
I have a DMM it's VC9805. For measuring the output current of this Buck module, I used it this way:

Then I connected the red test lead to 20A and set it to DC mode(it is in DC mode itself) and connected the test leads to the output of the module. and when I turned the supply on, BOOOOM!

Burnt out.:(
Why? (I think there is a big load in DMM to draw current)

I want to measure the current on my board. I want to know Is my MCU(STM32F103) drawing current or not(want to know it's functioning/working or not). but I'm worry that maybe it would burnt out my debugger(it's J-Link) or my MCU. Should I be worry?

Last edited:

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Can you draw a diagram of exactly how you connected the meter?

You know the meter should be connected in series with the load if you want to measure current?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In the link is given that the Buck module can deliver 3 Amps.
The 20 A connection will act as a short.
The buck converter is likely NOT short circuit protected.

Bertus

Hi everybody
I have a DMM it's VC9805. For measuring the output current of this Buck module, I used it this way:

Then I connected the red test lead to 20A and set it to DC mode(it is in DC mode itself) and connected the test leads to the output of the module. and when I turned the supply on, BOOOOM!

Burnt out.:(
Why? (I think there is a big load in DMM to draw current)

I want to measure the current on my board. I want to know Is my MCU(STM32F103) drawing current or not(want to know it's functioning/working or not). but I'm worry that maybe it would burnt out my debugger(it's J-Link) or my MCU. Should I be worry?
First you need to check for short circuit condition.
This is accomplished by putting a light bulb in series with your circuit.
The light bulb should be the same wattage you expect from your circuit.
If light is about half brightness, then you do not have a dead short.
If light is on full brightness, then you have a dead short.
If light is off, then you have a open circuit.

Best Regards

PeterCoxSmith

Joined Feb 23, 2015
sounds like the DVM was connected directly across the supply in which case it is a short circuit. If the supply blew up then it did not have a short circuit protection capability.

booboo

Joined Apr 25, 2015
I just wanted to know can it give me 3A really.
This is the schematic of my DMM:

How could I measure the max current at the output of my Buck module?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you read the specs of the buck converter in the link you provided?
  • Input: DC 3V to 40V (input voltage must be higher than the output voltage to 1.5v above can not boost)
  • Output: DC 1.5V to 35V voltage continuously adjustable, high-efficiency maximum output current of 3A.
  • Features: All SANYO solid capacitors, the 36u thickening circuit boards, high-Q inductance with output value of high-power LED indicator
  • Dimensions: 45 (L) * 20 (W) * 14 (H) mm (with potentiometer)
It states a maximum output current of 3 A.

Bertus

PeterCoxSmith

Joined Feb 23, 2015
You need a circuit like this:

upload_2015-9-5_19-11-57.png

The resistor sets the current and must have a value of

R = (Expected Voltage) / (Expected Current)

And this resistor must have a power rating of (Expected Voltage) x (Expected Current) x 5

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
But probably it is! if it's not, then why it's burnt out?
By design, a voltmeter has a very high input impedance or resistance. It tries to look like an infinitely large resistor that drawn no current.

However, a current meter is the opposite. It tries to look like zero ohms. If you are measuring the output current of a power supply that has built-in current limiting, the supply will protect itself and the meter will show the short-circuit current. But most buck regulators do not have this kind of protection built in.

When the manufacturer says the regulator is good for 3 A, he means that you can draw more than 3 A if you want, but it might damage the regulator. That is what happened in your case. If you want to confirm that the device can supply 3 A, you need to connect a load resistor that is calculated (with Ohm's Law) to draw 3 A at whatever the output voltage is, and put your meter in series with it.

ak

First you need to check for short circuit condition.
This is accomplished by putting a light bulb in series with your circuit.
The light bulb should be the same wattage you expect from your circuit.
If light is about half brightness, then you do not have a dead short.
If light is on full brightness, then you have a dead short.
If light is off, then you have a open circuit.

Best Regards
I would use a fuse for the maximum amperage you would expect in your circuit.

Best Regards Again