How to make Windows Fonts?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The new Paint does not actually do New Courier 8 pt, it extrapolates it instead. I use the heck out of this font, but the new look is basically unusable.

I have looked, and have yet to find a definition of the file format of any of the various font standards out there. I want to create a custom single point font, nothing complex, that is compatible with Windows M/S Paint.

Does anyone have any good references?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Like I said, the new Paint in Win7 does not work the same way, it aliases the small fonts. Far off it looks OK, close up not so much.

I also don't want multiple point sizes, what I want it like the bmp of fonts, just one size and I define the pixels (completely).

I'll check out the software when I get the chance.

There are several font extensions, I am hoping one is crude and simple, so I can lay out the binary stream for it.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Like I said, the new Paint in Win7 does not work the same way, it aliases the small fonts. Far off it looks OK, close up not so much.

I also don't want multiple point sizes, what I want it like the bmp of fonts, just one size and I define the pixels (completely).
What you are asking about is called a raster font (where each character is made by pixels on a grid).

Natively windows uses vector fonts (where characters are defined by lengths and angles of the lines and can be easily scaled.)

I don't think you will get a new Win7 paint program to use raster fonts. If you can find a way to turn "font smoothing" off or "anti aliasing" off etc you might get an ok result in Win7 paint.

Some of the older freeware paint type programs will let you use raster fonts direct, or at least will allow font display with no smoothing, so you can manually size them until they look ok in pixels.

I think the free paint tools supplied with windows have always been extremely poor, and just about any freeware paint type program will work better and have more/better import and export filters. So in other words just get rid of Win paint. ;)

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Yeah that's to turn off the screen display anti-aliasing.

What Bill needs is to be able to place text on a pixelated image, with the characters made of pixels (ie a fixed size raster font).

I do it in a freeware program, but in the place text control I turn the font smoothing off. Then by picking the right font size it rasterises the windows TTF font pretty well.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009

What Bill needs is to be able to place text on a pixelated image, with the characters made of pixels (ie a fixed size raster font).

I do it in a freeware program, but in the place text control I turn the font smoothing off. Then by picking the right font size it rasterises the windows TTF font pretty well.
I think Bills problem is that the fonts are anti aliased in paint for Windows 7. Then the fonts are small this may be a problem

Tesla23

Joined May 10, 2009

There is only one type of anti-aliasing as far as I know - and it affects the rendering of text on bitmaps, whether that bitmap is the screen or the bitmap in paint.

Anyway, the proof is in the result and before I posted I did actually try it on Win7 with Paint and the result was to remove the smoothing from the text on the paint bitmap. I have before and after examples to prove it:

Attachments

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So how did you remove the smoothing? I have it in front of me at the moment, and can't find it.

While my drawings are fundimentally bitmap, the compression is generally .gif B&W

Opps, found it in an earlier post. Unfortunately it is part of the system settings, an administrator function, which I don't have.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This thread will still be very useful, as I am looking to upgrade my computer soon. Thank you.

I probably will still try the font program, as it has some other uses.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, I'm back on this subject. I want to make a raster font, in pixels, and then convert it to something Win can use. These will be specialized fonts to be used with my PaintCAD package.

Here is an example of one font I want...

Here is what my desktop does...

Verdana 6pt is very usable, but at this point I'm trying to use my new (to me) laptop, which this thread was very useful in setting up. I would like to create a new font something like Verdana 6pt, but polish out the glitches.

I'll post what the laptop is doing in a bit. I may be misremembering, but it is pretty ugly. Both my desktop and laptop are Win7 pro.

OK, her is my laptops versio. Like I said, ugly.

Attachments

Last edited: