How to make toggle latch?

secrect

Joined Feb 1, 2009
Actually I want to make a toggling switch with latch which drives the relay without using any ICs... How can I do this ?

john-campbell

Joined Feb 10, 2009
Do a search on the web for "latching relays". There are lots of them. Use a pushbutton switch or similar to provide an appropriate pulse to the relay. Each time the pulse is applied to the relay it will switch to one of its two stable states.

secrect

Joined Feb 1, 2009
Thanks for quick reply, but what I want to kindly ask is, Let's not include that relay... I just want to on and off a LED using single push switch. At the very first the LED is OFF. When I press the switch the LED should ON and on next push It should OFF. and circuit should not use any ICs and simple too.

john-campbell

Joined Feb 10, 2009
Sounds like what you want is an "alternate action" pushbutton. The first push sets it to one state and the next push sets it back to the other state. Same thing. Just do a search for "alternate action bushbutton"

secrect

Joined Feb 1, 2009
Sounds like what you want is an "alternate action" pushbutton. The first push sets it to one state and the next push sets it back to the other state. Same thing. Just do a search for "alternate action bushbutton"
If I'm correct... It's electromechanical technique but I need to give it pulse for ON and OFF.

john-campbell

Joined Feb 10, 2009
I confess. I'm mystified. It's either a mechanical switch or an electronic latch. We're back to using an IC latch. Something has to store the ON-OFF state.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Why can't you use an alternate action pushbutton switch, as recommended by john-campbell?
If you need it to be actuated by a pulse, and you don't want to use ICs, can you use transistors?

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Many years ago I did a alternative push button ON/OFF relay circuit to replace one of those mechanical switches used on a table lamp.

The only limitation is not to use any latching relay or capacitor or transistors and the circuit should be able to work with either AC or DC coil voltage.

I can't remember the details now but I did remember I have to use more than three relays.

secrect

Joined Feb 1, 2009
Now that's license. :) Since the pulse can be anything...I choose "momentary, dry-contact switch closure"! ;)

Not my circuit, but I always thought it was a novel idea. :)

Ken
You're with the license but It's prohibited to use such mechanical control... Let's say the pulse is of electrical type... and this circuit should behave as the JK Latch... but without using ICs... can be used transistors and passive frens....