How to make professional posters with word

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dawud Beale, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Hi Im looking to make a professional looking poster to showcase one of my projects and I wondered if anyone knew of any good tutorials on how to make professional looking posters on word?

It will have quite a few words on it, plus pics and I need it to look good. Any suggestions?

2. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Remember that Word is a word processor, it's not designed to make posters. Try using publisher instead.

As for tips, keep everything to a minimum. make it look clean and well laid out. Space everything and make sure that it isn't in huge great blocks of text.

3. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
  4. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    I'm afraid, unless you are willing to spend hours drawing out each shape, then there's no way you can achieve that on word.

Sorry.

5. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
  6. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
  7. bretm

Feb 6, 2012
    It's not "any publisher software" but rather Microsoft Publisher, part of Office, often comes with Word. Double-check that you don't have it. It's designed for this sort of thing and Word isn't.

8. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
  9. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
    OK thanks Ill check to see if I have it as part of my office suite. Powerpoint looks pretty promising though but I'll check out Microsoft Publisher to see if similar templates and better editing tools are available. Guess I'd need to weigh up the pro's and con's of each.

We have a miniconference on monday at Uni to present our research and each of us need to put a poster together to present our work so hopefully all goes well.

10. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Good stuff!

May i ask, how is Sheffield for EE? I'm in year 12 atm, and looking around at unis.

11. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
    I'm at Sheffield Hallam and the course, facilites, teaching, and particularly the course structure and content, is exceptionally good. It isn't a top university in terms of Grading though so depends on whether your looking for good quality teaching or you want your name next to a top university on your degree. Sheffield University is one of the top universities in the country but I cant comment on the quality of teaching etc there.

Sheffield Hallam apparently has the highest rate in the country for number of students who find work placements and the degree's are IET accredited, and they have good relationships with engineering companies like Tata Steel so we get industrial visits and the degree's are well respected and the quality of teaching is acknowledged as very applicable in engineering work places (as opposed to heavily abstract and theoretical concepts), and we learn a range of good software and skills. I really recommend Hallam, go for the BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering as it leads to a chartership.

Good luck with your career. Work hard and don't party too hard as too many young people in our country now end up with a degree that is not worth the paper its printed on and are totally unemployable as they wasted their time and didnt utilise the opportunity available to them at Uni. Engineers are in high demand and if you work hard and stay career focused you'll end up with a great career. I also recommend to practice amateur electronics to get ahead of the game

Sparky49 likes this.
  12. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Another link for future reference that should help anyone who needs scientific or engineering posters as part of their studies or work:

http://www.writing.engr.psu.edu/posters.html

If anyone else knows of some good links for tutorials, advice or templates for posters then please post them here so others can benefit

Sparky49 likes this.
  13. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    You could use Gimp, it's free and can do almost everything that Photoshop can do.

14. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks Dawud!

Dawud Beale likes this.
  15. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I use Print Shop, an old venerable program that was new when C64 was too. It does tiles, which can be joined to make posters of any size. I have made posters 16 feet by 8 feet using it.

I use postit notes to join the front, you will need to trim the paper, then scotch tape on the back. If you really want excellent results you can remove the post it notes and use clear shelf paper. 2 people and lots of clean floor space are required.

Surely you can find either a used program vendor, or a electronics/computer store with a $5 shelf.