How to make motion detector light / switch

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by arghya139, Dec 9, 2012.

1. arghya139

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I want to light up my stairs with a motion detector light or switch to start the lights when somebody walks up or down.
    Any guide or tutorial available out there that could help me with it ?
    like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZVizaSaaK8
    I want this to build myself, not buy
    helps are appreciated, regards

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
  3. arghya139

Dec 9, 2012
  4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    No, you want to build something to do this. That's a different goal. That's totally fine but you should have made it clear in the first post. Some folks just want to get to the destination and don't care about the journey.

If you want to build instead of buy, it will likely cost more and take longer. Again, that's just fine but people need to know what your goals are.

5. arghya139

Dec 9, 2012
    ya u are right
    actually i am new so thought posting into project forum will make people realize i want to make myself
    anyways, changing to first post, thanks for the heads up mate

6. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    There are two major parts to your project. First, there is a motion detector, which is often done with an infrared sensor. Second, there is a controller for the light. Do you plan to control an existing mains-powered light, or a DC powered light? The choice dictates the circuitry required.

7. absf

Dec 29, 2010
  8. arghya139

Dec 9, 2012
    Current main power lights will be best to control, if that is easier circuit.

Yes I need like that only

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Just be aware you must use a transformer, we do not allow DC power supplies off the mains (or LEDs either) to be discussed here. It is a safety issue, and is spelled out in our Terms of Service.

10. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    I connected a motion detector light switch to some dark stairs and IT DID NOT WORK when somebody walked towards it. It worked only when the person moved sideways which is difficult on the narrow stairs.

11. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Well your going to need either pressure sensors on each stair, or photo cells on each stair, and a pic or other micro to set the individual led on per step.

arghya139 likes this.
  12. arghya139

Dec 9, 2012
    thanks, but can u give me the circuit ?

13. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    That's a common problem in narrow halls and stairways.

If you mount the sensor on the ceiling then someone walking horizontally underneath it will trigger across its "zones" and make it work.

Sensors can be bought from ebay for a few dollars with the fresnel lens included, that would be the basis for a "build it yourself" setup with one or two sensors operating a mains-rated relay etc.

14. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    As the video shows that in the last testing at 1:47, when the phone is backward, and then the detecting system will not working well.

So, I have another idea, the detecting system including the IR detectors and light controller, you may use Mcu to do this, if you design the detecting system when detected one foot or two feet of the human, then the light controller have to turn on the lights, there is a range that including infront of the foot and behind the foot, the situation similar like as the water waves as the picture shows below, the stuff on the middle that shows as a foot have been detected, and the water waves as the lights lighting, so, when the foot is moving, then the lights will light up around the foot, no matter where is the foot going, whatever the foot is moving forward or backward.

If you doing so, when a foot just stand there, then the lights should be light up continuing, and the lights will light up following the foot, you also have to decide how long should be light up when the foot is leaving.

[​IMG]

The picture of water waves was copy from here:
    http://johnvagabondscience.wordpress.com/2008/10/12/wave-motion/

15. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    That's a little too artsy for me to follow. :)

Is it supposed to be like a Venn diagram?

16. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    If you look this, maybe you will easy to understand what I'm talking about.

Interactive LED Coffee Table Demo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkmpIXd9Q90

17. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
  18. xainnasir

Nov 8, 2012
    Hi there ,

Use PIR sensor for motion detection ... I used HC SR501 and its really best .... working kool although its range is about 5 ft max