How to make LDR working identically?

Discussion in 'Analog & Mixed-Signal Design' started by Shubhankar, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Shubhankar

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Hello there,
    I am making dimmer using my Arduino Board for my home. I am using LDR for dimming the light. But I am facing one problem that all LDR's are not working identically. I found that every time I am getting different value on same intensity of light using different LDR's. So how can I achieve this?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    1) Hardware, use resistors to make the LDRs similar
    2) Software, Make a look-up table for each LDR
    3) Start over, Use a better sensor.

3. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    Comprehensive, except possibly:
    4) Don't worry about it!

4. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    By calibrating them to the same output under identical lighting.

5. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Any minor change in outdoor light coming into a window will cause a different ADC value. Even reflections of where you are standing relative to lamps and the various reflections in the room - there is lots of possible differences on a minute by minute basis.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You're thinking on a micro scale. I have a drawer full of CdS sensors, and they are so dissimilar that I have to choose which range I want to work in before I start designing. Less than 1k, several k, dozens of k ohms at twilight levels. This range would look problematic to a software program. As an analog designer, I cope with this in hardware. Find the right range, slow down (integrate) the output to discard small interference factors, go to logic section.

GopherT likes this.
  7. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I just wanted the OP to understand the variabilities within his room with on LDR before tries to match a second to it - what ever his methodology might be or what ever his expectation for his design.

#12 likes this.