How to make / fix a 24V power supply

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I've posted previously about a power supply problem, and got some help, but I need more input. Does anyone know of a link to a schematic for a 24 volt power supply?

I'm checking out my board, item by item, and I need some clues as to what failures to look for.

I can replace resistors, diodes, Z's, caps, etc., if I know the specifics.

It's from a Wal-Mart weed eater, A Cmax WLT24, power supply PN 700132.

I've emailed Wal-Mart support, but I doubt if they will give me any details.

The mfg. is China, and a company called Original Power.

Just a long shot, but also a chance to learn something.

Thanks,
Gary

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I just checked the Walmart site and could not find a 24V weed eater.
It lists only cordless versions that are 12 V and a mains powered one.

Is yours powered from a wall wart supply or a stand-alone supply? Can you provide a picture of the supply? Have you been able to open it up? What current does it provide?

I suspect once you determine its specifications, your best course may be to buy a new replacement. For example, MPJA has a 24V@5A supply for $7.45. It is catalog #12912PS. Unfortunately, shipping on that supply or on new replacement parts for your current supply may cost you more.

John

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Thanks John,
It has zero current / output at the moment.
I accidently shortedit out while using it to charge something else.
Wal-Mart doesn't sell them any more, not or a couple of years now.

I Googled the name Cmax 24 volt, and found a different Wal-Mart support page, but no great detail.

I have opened it up, and can identify and measure most of the components.

If I knew the specs, I could probably buy replacement parts at Radio Shack.

I also have a lot of salvaged electrical parts, resistors, diodes, capacitors, etc., ...

Who is MPJA?
I'll Google it.

Thanks,
Gary

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Sorry about that. It's Marlin P. Jones and Assoc. (mpja.com). It is a surplus electronics dealer in FL that often has pretty good prices. You also don't have to wait a week to get something shipped. Once you buy something, you get monthly e-mail updates. I just received mine, so it was fresh in my mind.

If you can post a picture, it would sure help. Also, the power supply should have the current rating written on it.

John

PS: I am assuming you are in the USA. Is that correct?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What part of Texas, neighbor?

BJ Micro is close enough I walk in, even though their not geared for it (but they don't mind). Be prepared to pay homage to Eli May, a very large Great Dane who is convinced she is still a puppy, with one blue eye and one brown eye. I bring her treats, and we are firm friends. Her owner complains she'll eat stuff from me that she won't touch from the home base.

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=12940

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Bill,
I'm from Duncanville, just South of Oak Cliff.
Where do you call home?

I'll check out BJ Micro, I usually go to Fry's, Radio Shack, or EDS in Arlington.

Gary

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Good grief,
I just bought some batteries on Ebay yesterday, and I paid twice as much, and I've got to wait a week to get them.

Bill,
Where are they located?
Their site doesn't give an address, but area code 972 is the same as my home area code?

I will go there and check it out.

Thanks,
Gary

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Bill,
I'm from Duncanville, just South of Oak Cliff.
Where do you call home?

I'll check out BJ Micro, I usually go to Fry's, Radio Shack, or EDS in Arlington.

Gary
Garland, TX. Which is where BJ Micro is too. I usually look at their online catalog, make a list, then go to calling on Eli with doggie treats. They have nothin on shelves, the list is a must (and if you want to make friends with Eli May, so are the doggie treats).

I didn't see Tanner's, another excellent store for electronic parts. BJ Micro and Tanner's actually go together to buy components in many cases.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
BG Micro
555 N 5th St
Garland, TX 75040
That's an old address. I'll see if I can get a Google map and pin it. Basically they are behind Vikon Village (a flea market shopping mall, believe it or not) on the other side of the iron fence. 635 and Jupiter, off Kingsly, on a side road called Lincoln.

The above address is a stones throw from my house though. We even share the same zip code. I was sad to see them move.