How to make a simple DC-AC circuit?

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Halim.Akiki, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Halim.Akiki

Thread Starter Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Hello. I need help making a simple dc to ac converter. Any circuit suggestion?

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You need to supply some concrete numbers:

DC voltage
    AC voltage
    AC frequency
    Current or wattage required

You have been told this before. Please do not repeat the same bad habits.
    We cannot read your mind.

3. Halim.Akiki

Thread Starter Member

Dec 29, 2014
    I only need the figure of the circuit: the components i need and how to connect them. But since you offer to help me with the calculations i would appreciate it even more.
    Here are the information you need:
    DC input: 14 V
    AC output 14 V
    AC frequency 60 Hz
    Thank you!

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    This is not information I need. This is information you need.

You need to learn to express yourself clearly.

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Simple 14VDC to 14VAC circuit: use a 555 timer circuit.

You can also do it with one Schmitt inverting trigger, or one UJT, or two BJT.

6. Halim.Akiki

Thread Starter Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Can you tell me how to connect the BJT's?

7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Here are various circuits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    So, Halim, other than getting MrChips to give you a selection of ready made circuit topologies to pick from, do you have any plans to actually do anything yourself to solve YOUR homework?

9. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The TS has failed to supply one critical piece of information. I'm leaving it up to the TS to discover.

10. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Yeah, I noticed that. I suspect we're thinking of the same thing.

11. Halim.Akiki

Thread Starter Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Of course. I still have to draw the circuit on proteus then test it, i have to use ares to make the best way to connect the circuit and weld it on a soldering board. I have also to connect it's input to the AC-DC bridge rectifier i already made and test it. I also have to connect the 14 v AC output to the transformer to get the 230 V output. I also have to calculate the parameters such as efficiency, form factor, ripple factor and transformer utilization factor. So excuse me if i ask for help from everywhere i can find it!

12. Halim.Akiki

Thread Starter Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Thank you sir i owe you 3/4 of my project's final grade.

13. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    May be you could use the correct nomenclature in your project documentation and it call it an inverter. Just out of interest is that all you're building for a final year project is an inverter? I'd throw an a.c. induction motor in there as well and go for the inverter fed drive system.

Halim.Akiki likes this.
  14. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Meaning that you recognize that you only deserve 1/4 of the final grade.

Perhaps you should include in your project a description of the help you received and how much of the design was actually provided by someone else so that the instructor can make a fair assessment of how much of the credit YOU deserve (and it would probably be more than 25%).

Lest you think I am be facetious, when I was teaching at the Academy that was an explicit requirement for every assignment that every cadet submitted. ALL help from all sources except that cadet's instructor for the course had to be explicitly documented by the cadet and reviewed by the instructor. Failure to provide it resulted in a zero for the assignment. Failure to document all assistance received was an Honor Code violation and could result in dismissal.

Receiving help with a design is one thing, but thus far you appear to have done NOTHING to contribute to the design that you are ultimately going to take credit for. Would you like to discover that that was the approach taken by your doctor in medical school? If not, consider that doctors generally kill people one at a time, while engineers do it in job lots.

atferrari and LETITROLL like this.
  15. Halim.Akiki

Thread Starter Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Actually sir this is a PART of the design i'm working on. And it is nice to admit that MrChips had a great part in helping me to finish my design.
    Note that i SHALL admit to my instructor that this part of the circuit was NOT designed by me and i will leave it to him to decide the grade i deserve.

16. Halim.Akiki

Thread Starter Member

Dec 29, 2014
    This is not a final year project.... It's a small lab design.

17. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    O.K my mistake. I must have got the wrong end of the stick when you said: "project's final grade".

18. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    So a square-wave output is satisfactory for your requrements?