how to make a .png

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Bychon, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Bychon

Thread Starter Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I have XP with Firefox or IE, a scanner, and PDF makers. I wish to know how to make .png files to upload.

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I use Paint and the clipboard function. Use the option "save as" in paint and then use the filetype pulldown menu to select PNG. It is not good enough to just specify png as extension in the filename.
    Ps You do know you can use use the print-screen button to copy your current screen into the clipboard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2010
  3. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I use Photoshop, but other graphics programs will work. Paint comes with Windows XP (and others). It's not the greatest, but it works.

Open your graphic file (.bmp, etc.) with Windows Paint. (It's under Programs, Accessories, Paint.) Make whatever changes you want (if any) in Paint. Click File, Save As, and choose .png.

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    If you want a free photoshop like program, take a look at 'GIMP' It has Adobe Photoshop Functionality but its free.

You can open PDFs directly into it, crop and whatever you want, then save as png. (Or 50 other formats)

GIMP home page:
    http://www.gimp.org

GIMP for windows:
    http://www.gimp.org/windows/

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    It's a function of the software you use to create the file.

You can take a screen snapshot, and save it as a .png using MSPaint.

1) Press Ctrl+PrintScreen
    2) Start MSPaint
    3) Press Ctrl+V to paste the image, or from the menu, select Edit, then Paste
    4) File -> Save As...
    5) Select ".png (Portable Network Graphics)" as file type, and give it a name.

[eta]
    Wow, I'm slow today.

If you start off loading a file of a different type into MSPaint, and then save it as a .png file - it will do so, but you'll wind up with a large file. Best to do the screen shot to begin with.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  6. Bychon

Thread Starter Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Scan to paint, save as..., Go advanced, upload.

Waiting for upload...8:42am

Waiting for forum.allaboutcircuits.com...8:44 am

Sending request to forum.allaboutcircuits.com...8:46am

Waiting for forum.allaboutcircuits.com...8:48am

Done 8:49am

Submit reply

Seems a bit slow today.

7. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    And it's a jpeg now. I heard someone else say that the forum converted a png to a jpeg although the png I just posted is still a png.

8. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    OK, you have the basics down.

Now you need to learn how to "crop" the image.

Once you have the image pasted into MSPaint, use the Select tool (upper right on the toolbar, the dashed rectangle thingy) and select the area you want to save as an image by left-clicking/dragging.
    Then Edit/Copy (or Ctrl+C).
    Then Image/Attributes....
    (I usually just set the image size to 1"x1") and click OK
    Then paste in your cropped image.

9. Bychon

Thread Starter Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I do the dotted line box, then edit/copy, then attributes, inches, 2x2, color, OK and I get a 2x2 corner of the drawing, just as it was, original size, just the upper left corner, not the dotted line box, image not shrunken.

Please try to explain again.

10. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Did you paste the image back in there?

Attributes will crop, but not change the size.

If you want to shrink it, try the Stretch and Skew. Put in 25% for height and width. Presto, you've shrunk it to 25% of it's original size.

11. Bychon

Thread Starter Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I figured out how to crop, stretchNskew, and cut out the larger size view, but I'm still getting what you see...a shrunken image on an 81/2 by 11 piece of paper. How to cut the shrunken image away from the background?

12. Bychon

Thread Starter Member

Mar 12, 2010
    This seems so stupid! Been using Windows since W95 and I don't know how to use Paint!

13. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    You have also 3 small blue dots you can use crop you picture. Place you cursor over one of these dots, and the cursor will change to double arrow. Hold down the left mouse button to drag and crop. If you picture is large it can be hard to find these small dots

14. Bychon

Thread Starter Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I have searched all over the paint screen...dragged it out as large as my 24 inch wide flat screen monitor, moved the blue bars and stared at the screen, I can find no sign of a blue dot.

15. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    OK, your background image is simply huge.

Try using stretch & skew to get the area of interest's image size down.
    Then try using the Image/Attributes and trim it down to about 6"x6".

16. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Scanning the original image at a lower resolution will help quite a bit. Try using a scan of 100 to 150 DPI.

17. Bychon

Thread Starter Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Dotted box, copy, file/new, paste.

18. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Getting the hang of it, I see. ;)

19. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    The small blue dots will always be on the edge of the picture bottom middle, bottom right corner, and right side middle. Most scanner applications will also allow you to just scan an selected area.

20. Bychon

Thread Starter Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Thank you all! This will be more convenient for our vict...er...posters. Downloading PDF's and then opening them gets to be a bore. PNG's work better.