How to make 12 V DC source to 5V-10V DC source?

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Sajid86, May 4, 2009.

1. Sajid86

Thread Starter New Member

May 4, 2009
    In my Electrical Circuit(DC) course, my teacher asked me to make a 12V DC source to 5V-10V DC Source. Can anyone help me out?
  2. whzahp

May 3, 2009
    If u are actually doing this circuit in lab..u can use an LM317 (a variable voltage regulator..see datasheet)..or if u want a fixed o/p voltage u can use a corresponding zener diode of req reverse vtg rating...The simplest soln of all would be to use a voltage divider circuit to get the req o/p vtg across R1 & then allow the 12V-o/p vtg drop across R2..However this will the most inefficient circuit as power deliverd to R2 is simply lost as heat...
  3. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    Use a transformer. First you need to convert DC to AC, and then attach it to a variable transformer, and then back to DC again.
  4. Steven_Shi

May 12, 2009
    I think you can try use TL431 , two resistor and one potentiometer to get the

5. sreejisreeni

May 27, 2009
    This can be achieved by using an LM317 as Mr. Possible Soln mentioned.
    Else you can go for a simple buck converter in case if you need higher current....
    If you want to know about the buck converter pls let me know......
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  6. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    The LM317 is the easiest method and has decent regulation. But if your teacher doesn't allow for ICs, use a Series Pass transistor as a regulator; it's controlled by a pot to get your variation. If you need this solution, let me know.