How to learn the ropes?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Seppo, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Seppo

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Moderator Note:

Welcome to AAC!

A thread belongs to the OP (original poster). Trying to take over someone elses thread is called hijacking, which is not allowed at All About Circuits. I have therefore given you a thread of your very own.

This was split from How to learn the ropes?

Hey there. New to this forum, and relatively new to electronics. Reviving this old post instead of starting a new one. Basically, I have the same question as the original poster, @danforth. I checked out a lot of the suggestions made in the replies, however I think what would be best is a simple, straightforward video series for learning electronics, circuits, etc.

I've been watching mjlorton's "Electronics Tutorial" videos on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOTPsWDzNAosVd6vc3pCPHQ) and they have been OK. But he tends to draaaaaag on and belabor the points. Are there any streamlined video courses out there to teach electronics, perhaps using tools like a RPI, Arduino, breadboard, etc..??

Thanks for any insight and guidance you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  2. ISB123

May 21, 2014
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I tend to offer help to folks new to the hobby. My advice in the previous thread still stands, and I also recommend Volume 6 (Experiments) of the Textbooks shown on the top of this page.

4. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Ask lots of questions

Make lots of mistakes (we all did and I still do)

Try stuff for yourself

It's a grand life if you don't weaken.

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  6. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    To learn the ropes: Start pulling on them and see what happens!

Just follow your passions, BUILD THINGS, experiment.

7. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    BE BOLD! Burning out a part teaches you far more than sticking one in and it works. Learning means you are going to break stuff. And most important, don't forget to have a good time.

8. Seppo

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Thanks everyone. I fully intend to break things and probably shock myself a few times along the way. :) However, I'm the type of student who likes to at least learn WHY things are happening the way they are and understand the basic building blocks of the material. Once I know the basics, I can start to experiment and at least make educated guesses as to what I am doing, what I should be doing, and what I've done.

I think there is an opportunity for someone to make a clean, streamlined, short and to-the-point video series for teaching the basics of electronics. I'm actually surprised I didn't find one in my regular search.

Please keep the suggestions coming. And if a video series does exist, please let me know. Thank you!

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    They exist, I bookmarked them on my blog.

Build, then experiment. Be prepared to melt some plastic. Electronics is very much a scientific hobby, replication is key.

Bill's Blog