How to learn Microcontroller from basic easily?

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by oridroo, May 18, 2012.

1. oridroo

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Hello All,
    I want to learn Microcontroller from basic and step by step online.
    So, where I can find reliable source to get started? Also, which I should start first? I mean as far I heard there are several categories like AVR, 8051 etc.
    Among them which kind is the most appropriate for today's world?

Thanks in advance.

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    oridroo likes this.
  3. oridroo

Feb 5, 2012
    Does it related to robotics?
    I need to imply electrical circuits and their outcomes via it.

4. jwilk13

Jun 15, 2011
    I've never used the Arduino Uno that mcgyvr suggested, but I know that it's a very good learning tool.

I jumped right in with PICs using the PICKit 3 and their demo board. It takes some figuring out to get everything set up properly, but once you do figure it out, there are soooooo many possibilities. The PICKit 3 with demo board can be found here.

5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I wasn't sure if the "basic" in your post meant the basic programming language or just basic (ie not advanced).. Arduino is not for the basic language.. Its mostly based on C/C++ language.

6. jwilk13

Jun 15, 2011
    I made the same assumption ;)

7. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    +1 for arduino. You can get them at radioshack now.

8. oridroo

Feb 5, 2012
    I've done C and will learn C++ by the end of the year. So, if the starting based on 'C', it wont be a problem I think.
    Also, would you like to explain a bit the terms/platforms PIC, AVR.....

9. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  10. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Sure any micro can be used for "robotics".. There are TONS of examples of robotic projects using an Arduino board.

And the new Arduino boards with the Android ADK on them are really cool and allow simple integration with your android smart phones.

11. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    If your a newb go arduino, it runs on whats calls Stupid Simple C, which is basically a mix between Basic and C, its really easy and pinouts are already done, not to mention how much there is for the lil thing. Once your comfortable and outgrowing the basic arduino I recommend a PIC or ATMEL AVR chip to work with, possible a LPC if you need even more power.

12. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    If I had it to do over, I would have gone with Arduino. Instead I chose Picaxe and learned that system but it is not as well recognized and supported as the Arduino system by a country mile. I learned Picaxe and did a lot of simple to fairly complex tasks, but the system is slow and easilly stalled due to timing and the use of part of the memory to compile the program into a machine readable and executable form. This is just my .02, but that's how I started out and since then I have decided to go to Microchip and learn C and eventually C++. Good luck and above all don't ever give up. Your miracle will happen if you stick with it.
    Wheelchair Bob

13. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I haven;t used the picaxe but I've studied up on it. Just seemed to expensive for what you got and it was just a rebranded pic that was limited. Also didn't like the programming interface. Arduino's nice, anything with a good branded dev kit will be nice.

14. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Other good thing about arduino is it's cult following of noobs, and the pursuant plethora of already asked questions with answers. Their (arduino) forum is abuzz with askers & answerers. Lots of tech support, from peers. It's open source so the DIY crowd is all over it.