how to increased the roll off rate

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by naspek, Mar 23, 2010.

1. naspek

Thread Starter Member

Feb 17, 2010
    hey there...
    i wanted to modified my 1st order Butterworth low pass filter with K=1.
    i want to increased the roll off rate.. but, after changing the resistor value,
    the capacitor value and fo, i the roll of rate still the same..
    how can i increased my roll off rate?

2. jlcstrat

Jun 19, 2009
    I believe each reactive element will add another -20 Db/decade. You need to add more capacitors, but keep the total reactance the same to achieve the same cutoff frequency.

naspek likes this.
  3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    If it is a passive network, the rate is only 3 dB/octave.

naspek likes this.
  4. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    No.
    A single RC rolls off at 6dB/octave which is 20db/decade. Opamps and ordinary audio tone controls use it.

A fairly complicated 3db/octave filter is used to convert white noise into pink noise that needs a roll off of 3dB/octave.

A Sallen and Key Butterworth 2nd-order filter rolls off at 12db/octave and a Sallen and Key 3rd-order Butterworth filter rolls off at 18dB/octave.

Switched capacitor lowpass filter ICs roll off at 6db/octave per order. An 8th-order Butterworth filter rolls off at 48db/octave and will filter a square-wave into a pretty good sine-wave.

naspek likes this.
  5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    naspek likes this.
  6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    If you want to increase to rolloff while keeping the flatness there are other types of filters. For example, an m-derived filter has a very sharp knee, but not as good rejection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-derived_filter

naspek likes this.
  7. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    A Bessel filter has good phase response but has a droopy frequency response.
    A Butterworth filter has the flattest frequency response and fairly sharp cutoff but rings a little at the cutoff frequency.
    A Chebychev filter has a very sharp cutoff but has ripple in the passband and ripple at higher frequencies.

naspek likes this.