How to increase voltage

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Zanac-X, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zanac-X

Thread Starter Member

Dec 23, 2011
    hey everyone :)

i have this system of lights that consists of two parallel paths each have 12 high power LED in series and can be controlled by this small circuit shown in the attachment .

my problem is that i tried to increase the length of each path to double the amount to LEDs (24) and the voltage was not enough to give bright light so what should i do to the circuit to work fine because i tried to connect them directly to the source and worked fine

1: T1: transistor working as switch for path 2
    2: T2: transistor working as switch for path 1
    3: C: capacitor that i don't know what its for ?
    4: R1,R2 resistors that i dont know what their job ?
    5: D: diode for converting AC to semi-DC
    6: CH:micro chip that gives the pulses and make the effects
    7: B: button to change the effects of Lights

please help me to solve my problem and understand what the resistors and the capacitor do.

thanks for your time
  2. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    I dont think it is advisable to do that without total understanding of the circuit. What is the current consumed by 2x12 LED. What is the max current that transistor T1 and T2 can withstand? and what is the power capacity of the adaptor?

If you increase the load to 2x24 LED, the current consumption would double and you're risking the lives of the transistors and the power adaptor.

3. Zanac-X

Thread Starter Member

Dec 23, 2011
    well to answer your Qs i did some work and here is what I've found :

1- current consumption of 1 LED is (5.69Min) and(6.14Max) so for a 13x2 system it will be (154.96mA Min) and (159.64mA Max)

P.S : the original system is designed with 14 Led in each path but when adding the other 14 it will make a short circuit so i got rid of two LEDs and the total is 26 LEDs with 13 LED in each path and not 12 so im sorry about that :D

2- when i found out that the transistors are A (PCR406A) transistor i found the data sheet but i didn't know which one is the Max current so maybe you will

3- it do not have an adopter ,plus i want to connect it directly to the electricity of my house, its designed to have multiple sources and i need this system connected directly to the wires.

P.S : the wires used for this system are very thin (1mm cross-section)
  4. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    LEDs powered by the mains is one of the Restricted Topics as shown in paragraph 6 of the Terms of Service:

As this is a restricted topic, we cannot discuss your application any further, as it is unsafe.
  5. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    Wow ok! I never knew there were restricted topics that CAN'T be discussed...

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Then you too need to read our Terms of Service, as it is spelled out quite clearly.

All the moderators close about a thread per day for things like this.

Wall warts are cheap, lives can not be replaced.
    Eric007 and BMorse like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.