How to identify SMD LEDs?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by GRNDPNDR, Nov 26, 2012.

1. GRNDPNDR

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I need some help identifying these types of SMD LED's because I need to buy more to replace these ones.

Does anyone know what kind/type these are? Or a part number or something?

LED1 and 2 on this board. it looks like a regular LED with the clear plastic but surface mount.
    [​IMG]

the 4 LEDs on this board.
    [​IMG]

2. GRNDPNDR

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Is there a chart or list that shows the sizes and types somewhere maybe? I haven't been able to find one if their is.

3. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I do my component drill down on Digikey's site. Pick "Mounting Type" as "Surface Mount" then make some guesses and see what comes back in the parts list below.

You have these boards so you can make some measurements as to the size.

4. GRNDPNDR

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2012
    its the "LED1" and "LED2" that I can't find. there is a chance I may be able to substitute it though.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Just a wild guess, but LED 2 is connected to a 560 ohm resistor. That would allow about 5ma on a 5 volt supply or nearly 20ma on a 12 volt supply, so I surmise that LED1 and LED2 are your common, garden variety, 20ma (max) leds.

6. GRNDPNDR

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2012
    they are tiny, and it is on 12V, so you may be right, but they're surface mount for sure, they don't have pins on the bottom and I've never seen an SMD like that before.

7. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Look at the domed LEDs.

8. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Approximately how old is the board? The domed/heatsink LEDs look like the "high output" surface mount from a while back. There are domed lens/surface mount LEDs that are available now which focus the light better than the purely flat ones, and are brighter in some cases than the domed on heatsink w/leads type you are showing above.

What color are they? Be sure to get LEDs rated for the application, judging from other clues, the domed/larger LEDs are for illuminating controls on a vehicle radio while the LEDs between the buttons highlight words in a mask identifying the function of the buttons? Temperature range is going to be the critical area to look at, usually "automotive rated" at Digi-Key will narrow down the results for you quickly.

9. GRNDPNDR

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2012
    The 4 SMDs are on drivers side switch panel or "master control" from a 2002 Dodge Ram.

The domed LED's are defrost and AC indicator lights. They're orange....it's ugly lol. but I've already replaced the illumination with blue ones from superbrightleds and it looks slick.

Just gotta find suitable replacements for the SMD's in the truck. there is one more in the light switch for fog lamp indication but I haven't looked at it yet.