How to identify/measure the voltage values in the 3 phase lines using a Arduino Uno microcontroller

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Paras Jatkar, May 29, 2015.

How to identify/measure the voltage values in the 3 phase lines using a Arduino Uno microcontroller

1. Embedded

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Electronics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Paras Jatkar

Thread Starter New Member

May 29, 2015
    Hi,

I have the following requirement:
    Identify/measure the voltage values in the 3 phase lines using a Arduino Uno microcontroller.
    I know that I cannot feed 230v to the microcontroller. The input voltage to it is 0 to 5v.

Can anyone suggest is there a existing module that takes in 250V and gives out 0 to 5v proportional analog voltage?
    So that I can feed that analog voltage to the microcontroller and calculate back actual voltage using a formula?
    I have also placed my question in the diagram in the attachment.

Thanks in advance!!

2. mitko89

Sep 20, 2012
    Homework section?
    Generally, when you have a high voltage, the possible aproaches are: use voltage deviders, use a transformer, use a contactless sensor (measure the magnetic field).
    What is the purpose of the measurement? Do you want to check the phase sequence?

3. Paras Jatkar

Thread Starter New Member

May 29, 2015
    First of all thank you for the instant reply :)
    Actually what i want to do is: measure the voltages in the 3 phases, and if all of the voltages are above 200V i want to trigger a relay to turn on the water pump. This water pump runs on 3 phase.

4. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I think there are ready made items for this purpose.

5. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Why use an Arduino? There are lots of ways to do a "missing phase detector" without a micro in the loop.

6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I would recomment you use step down transformers to give you a safer voltage to sample.

You don't get a nice 0-5VDC output to sample, though you could make a full wave bridge rectfier along with a cap (basically a simple power supply) and a resistive divider to keep things below 5V.

Having such transformers means your controller need not be connected directly to the AC line.