how to help someone with computer remotely?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PG1995, Sep 12, 2011.

1. PG1995

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Hi

I remember that once I saw someone using MSN messenger to help his friend remotely. The person was able to control the distant computer through internet. My cousin is very inexperienced with computers and often needs help even while installing programs. On different occasions I have tried to help her unsuccessfully over the phone. With the intention to help her, I downloaded MSN messenger so that I can use to remotely teach or help her but MSN doesn't have that feature now. Please note that I don't exactly remember even if it was really MSN messenger which I saw someone using or some other software but one thing is sure it was pretty easy to use. Just a matter few clicks. Do you know of any program/messenger which I can use to help her. The program should be simple so that we both can easily use it. I myself not very good at computer. Please help me if possible. Thank you.

Regards
    PG

2. Arius007

Sep 2, 2011
  3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    You have also Real VNC http://www.realvnc.com/ It may cost about 30$. But you can download and trail for 30 days.

4. PG1995

Apr 15, 2011
    Thank you very much. I think I have found the right program. TeamViewer would do it.

Best wishes
    PG

5. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Logmein (https://secure.logmein.com/) is a very professional solution, and has a free version for non-commercial purposes.

You, as the technician, create an account and then download the software in every computer you want to control remotely.
    Then, if the computer is on, you can log in to the logmein site and access it fully. With the correct BIOS settings I think you can open it even if it's off.

This is the software I use to provide technical support to my parents.

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

In our office we use webex: http://www.webex.com/

It is NOT free but works over the internet through firewalls etc.

Bertus

7. PG1995

Apr 15, 2011
    Thank you, GeoRacer, Bertus, for your suggestions.

Regards
    PG

8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I second VLC. I've used the free version for monitoring work minions for years.

9. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    msn messenger does have that feature. I've helped many, a decade ago, using it.

10. ElectroDFW

Sep 2, 2011
    We use ShowMyPC here. Free, and both sides can be just "Run" without needing to be saved or installed. One side chooses "show" one side chooses "view", and the show-er gives the viewer the randomly generated access code given by the program to access the show-er's PC. Works via TightVNC.

Now with Windows 7 here, i'm interested in how well Remote Assistance would work for this situation.

Regards,
    --David M--
    aka Electro