How to have capacitor power only one part of parallel circuit?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If you care about the voltage balance then you can in parallel with a resistor for each capacitor, or you have some other better ideas?
I care about voltage balance because I don't want capacitors exploding on him. I know, silly me. Passive balancing with resistors should be fine for this application.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
The one you posted (TJ) and # 12 modified is fine with a cap like this.
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/420/al-kyb-e-140701-514759.pdf
Thanks for the clarification and the circuit diagram.

If 5 seconds is enough, 10,000 uf @ 10 V
Here's a page of them starting at $1.42
You can search for the size and shape you want.

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Compo...tors/_/N-75hqt?P=1z0si9qZ1z0x6es&Ns=Pricing|0
Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard of Mouser before but it looks like they have some good deals.

Regrettably, it seems like my idea is unrealistic. Any 8200μF capacitor (it seems) necessarily has a diameter greater than ½-inch, which is too large to fit on my hovercraft. So I think I'll have to give up on this idea for now.:(

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Your discharge path used to be a resistor and an LED. Now R2 is your discharge path for the capacitor, and you get to choose both components! Put your original capacitor in and experiment. Try 62k.

iimagine

Joined Dec 20, 2010
Uhmm... If you completely disconnect the battery, nothing will lit. My circuit will work if 'disconnection' by mean of a switch and battery remains intact

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I'm confused.:confused: I know a transistor won't make the LED fade out by itself, but isn't it OK to use it in combination with a capacitor? If I include a transistor in my circuit, I shouldn't need to use as large a capacitor then, right?

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
The problem is when you disconnect the battery there is no power to light the LED. So you need to store some power in something like a battery or capacitor. You can't get more power out than you put in.
If you could use a red or green LED you could maybe power it with a small coin cell. Something like this or smaller. The blue LEDs needs over 3 volts to turn on so they wouldn't be bright with a 3 volt battery.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/renata-cr2325-cu.html?gclid=CKDNlqem5cICFUdefgodGbQA3w
Problem is they are kind of heavy for their size.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
the cap value could be reduced down below 1000 uF if a transistor is added to the circuit
But how would that help out given that the energy from the LED is coming from the capacitor in question?

Now, if you add a coin cell this this might work to fade out the LED without having to physically switch off the battery quickly to avoid draining it too much. Which brings things back to the circuit I suggested to make it so that the power comes from the external battery until it is disconnected and then from the coin cell until this simple timer circuit kills it off.