How to get y=x/(a*(x-1)+1) with opamps?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by freshtapescent, Dec 27, 2015.

1. freshtapescent

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Ultimately trying to design an AC amplifier stage that has y=x/(a*(x-1)+1) for values between 0<x<1. A is a constant where 0<a<1 Order of operations should be as follows:
    1. x-1 = add -1V DC offset to x with noninverting amplifier
    2. a*(x-1) = use a voltage divider and buffer
    3. a*(x-1)+1 = add +1V DC offset to x with noninverting amplifier
    4. x-(a*(x-1)+1= no idea

This website's section on analog computing is great (http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/semiconductors/chpt-9/computational-circuits/) and I should be able to figure out steps 1-3, but as both x and (a*(x-1)+1) are different voltages and neither constant, I'm lost. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Attached images are from the online Desmos graphing calculator and show what happens when variable a is adjusted. Higher values of A create more nonlinearity from y=x.

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    You can't multiply or divide two variable voltages together with just op amps.
    Op amps only add, subtract, or multiply/divide by a constant.
    You need a non-linear device such as an analog multiplier to multiply/divide two variable voltages.

3. sailorjoe

Jun 4, 2013
  4. freshtapescent

Dec 27, 2015
    Eeek...multiplier/divider ICs are like $$-$$$. Has anyone successfully used diodes or BJTs as diodes in the feedback loop of dime-a-dozen opamps to create the nonlinearity?

5. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    I think you can do it with an logarithmic amplifier, that uses just bjts and opamps. Or you could build a Gilbert Cell which allows multiplication - see

6. KeepItSimpleStupid

Mar 4, 2014
    O suppose you mean divide x / (a?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  7. freshtapescent

Dec 27, 2015
    Yes, noticed that immediately but as I'm new on the forum won't be able to edit just yet. I mean step 4 to be the division of two variables X/a.

8. sailorjoe

Jun 4, 2013
  9. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    The order of operations should be to first reduce the expression you are trying to synthesize.

Then you can do this with just a few op amps.

10. freshtapescent

Dec 27, 2015
    Steps 1-3 in the original post outline how I plan on dealing with the order of operations. I can get that to work. Its the fourth step which is the division of two variables. How can I do that with just a few opamps?

11. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    As I previously stated, you can't.