How to get trigger pulse when a relay is Energised and De Energised

kosss

Joined Jun 29, 2015
Hi
I have a 12 volt relay being activated by a timing circuit (so 12 volts is on the relay while it counts down the prescribed time)
I need a trigger pulse or switch pulse when the relay is energised and one when the relay is De energised
Thanks Shane

kosss

Joined Jun 29, 2015
Hi
just need 12v trigger to activate a 2.5v-12v input
The input (IN) requires just a few milliamps at anywhere between 2.5v and 12v.
Thanks

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Since you do not mention any timing periods this will be generic. I would think about using a pair of One Shot multivibrators. Something along the lines of a 74123 simply because it is dual and allows for + or - triggering. Again, you do not mention the pulse width once triggered?

Ron

kosss

Joined Jun 29, 2015
Hi
the trigger has to run a relay pcb with the following specs (The input (IN) requires just a few milliamps at anywhere between 2.5v and 12v)

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You want a pulse when a relay coil is energized and you want a pulse when the coil is de energized. Call these pulses triggers or whatever you want but they need a pulse width or duration? So when 12 V is applied to the coil you want that positive transition to create a pulse and when the 12 V is removed you want to create a pulse on that negative going transitional edge. Use a pair of one-shot multivibtators. The 2.5 to 12 V isn't the issue. Additionally DC coil relays usually have a diode across the coil to snub the inductive kick when the coil field collapses, that may need some consideration. Commonly called a "flyback" diode.

Ron

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You want to use the relay contacts to generate the pulses, or do you want to use the voltage across the relay's coil?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi
I was going to try and use the relay contacts
Do you have form C (NO,NC) contacts?

So you need two outputs; 1 positive going when the relay closes, the other a positive going pulse when the relay releases?

Last edited: