How to get patent and IP

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by RRITESH KAKKAR, Apr 8, 2015.

1. RRITESH KAKKAR

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Hello guys,
    what are the condition and method to get patent your product/idea.
    and IP 65 like this similar on your products?

Thanks

2. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    What does patent law have to do with ingress protection?

3. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    For what country would you want a patent? Not sure what you mean by "IP 65", please explain.

For most countries, a patent can be issued to the inventor of a novel and useful invention. In general these inventions must be more than ideas; they need to be described in enough detail that somebody with "ordinary skill" can copy your invention.

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    RRITESH KAKKAR likes this.
  5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
  6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    There are few if any valid reasons for an individual to get a patent.
    Rather than waste your time in a useless exercise, I suggest you turn your attention to starting an enterprise. In the long run this activity will be far more profitable than wasting money on lawyers.

RRITESH KAKKAR and DickCappels like this.
  7. RRITESH KAKKAR

Jun 29, 2010
    Hello,
    I have seen on packing or data sheet of product displaying IP code can we get it?
    and Patent in India, how to know which patent already has been done?

8. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    What did the patent office in India say when you asked them?

10. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    It is pointless getting a patent unless you are willing and able to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars/pounds/rupees/whatever enforcing your IP rights in court. The big guys will copy any worthwhile thing you invent and won't be worried if you try suing them for patent infringement.

11. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  12. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    It is a common misconception that ideas all by themselves are worth something. They are worth "less than a dime a bale, in ten bale lots" according to Don Lancaster. His premise, which I agree with, is that an entrepreneur is valuable for the stream of ideas he produces. You find an idea, monetize it, and move on to the next new new thing before the copy cats come out of the woodwork. You want to protect your ideas? Disclose them and put them in the public domain. This accomplishes two purposes, it prevents anybody else from getting a patent because it becomes "prior art", and you develop a reputation as a smart guy with bright ideas that companies will want to hire.

13. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I agree. Ideas, even good ones, are a dime-a-dozen. Knowing how to work very hard and to allocate resources to execute on a very scant few of them is where the value is.

Patents have some value, but the common misconception - think up a great idea and wait for the checks - isn't one of them. In my career, during which I reviewed thousands of patents, I don't think I ever saw that work. In fact I'd be very curious to learn of examples where that did work. Not the ones where patent trolls go after big companies for alleged infringement, I mean examples where a patent holder was approached with big money for their patent. It must have happened, but I can't think of a single example.

RamaD likes this.
  14. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Most companies avoid inventors like the plague. Any contact at all could subject them to expensive litigation, so they just ignore lone wolf inventors. If you look and act like a businessman, instead of an inventor, then they offer to buy you out. A much more satisfactory outcome.

RamaD likes this.
  15. RRITESH KAKKAR

Jun 29, 2010
    Hello,
    I don't know any way i will ask!

16. RamaD

Dec 4, 2009
    IP65, ingress protection certification can be obtained from test centres, like, CPRI, ETDC, ERTL in India.

RRITESH KAKKAR likes this.
  17. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    methinks someone is getting patent protection and weather rating mixed up

18. RRITESH KAKKAR

Jun 29, 2010
    Hi,
    Thanks for worthy information, can you please tell how to get these certificates?

19. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    It´s simple. You make an appointment, bring in your device, they test it, it fails, you pay a lot of money. Repeat that 3-5 times,then finally you might succeed.
    Or you can buy the norm that is related to this, read it, make the necessary tests by yourself, and then bring it to the test center only when you are sure it is ok.

RamaD and RRITESH KAKKAR like this.
  20. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Go to the IPIndia web-site for info.