How to get patent and IP

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hello guys,
what are the condition and method to get patent your product/idea.
and IP 65 like this similar on your products?

Thanks

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
For what country would you want a patent? Not sure what you mean by "IP 65", please explain.

For most countries, a patent can be issued to the inventor of a novel and useful invention. In general these inventions must be more than ideas; they need to be described in enough detail that somebody with "ordinary skill" can copy your invention.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There are few if any valid reasons for an individual to get a patent.
Rather than waste your time in a useless exercise, I suggest you turn your attention to starting an enterprise. In the long run this activity will be far more profitable than wasting money on lawyers.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hello,
I have seen on packing or data sheet of product displaying IP code can we get it?
and Patent in India, how to know which patent already has been done?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
It is pointless getting a patent unless you are willing and able to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars/pounds/rupees/whatever enforcing your IP rights in court. The big guys will copy any worthwhile thing you invent and won't be worried if you try suing them for patent infringement.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is a common misconception that ideas all by themselves are worth something. They are worth "less than a dime a bale, in ten bale lots" according to Don Lancaster. His premise, which I agree with, is that an entrepreneur is valuable for the stream of ideas he produces. You find an idea, monetize it, and move on to the next new new thing before the copy cats come out of the woodwork. You want to protect your ideas? Disclose them and put them in the public domain. This accomplishes two purposes, it prevents anybody else from getting a patent because it becomes "prior art", and you develop a reputation as a smart guy with bright ideas that companies will want to hire.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I agree. Ideas, even good ones, are a dime-a-dozen. Knowing how to work very hard and to allocate resources to execute on a very scant few of them is where the value is.

Patents have some value, but the common misconception - think up a great idea and wait for the checks - isn't one of them. In my career, during which I reviewed thousands of patents, I don't think I ever saw that work. In fact I'd be very curious to learn of examples where that did work. Not the ones where patent trolls go after big companies for alleged infringement, I mean examples where a patent holder was approached with big money for their patent. It must have happened, but I can't think of a single example.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Most companies avoid inventors like the plague. Any contact at all could subject them to expensive litigation, so they just ignore lone wolf inventors. If you look and act like a businessman, instead of an inventor, then they offer to buy you out. A much more satisfactory outcome.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
It´s simple. You make an appointment, bring in your device, they test it, it fails, you pay a lot of money. Repeat that 3-5 times,then finally you might succeed.
Or you can buy the norm that is related to this, read it, make the necessary tests by yourself, and then bring it to the test center only when you are sure it is ok.