How to get around safeguard of the SAMSUNG HDD drives

darthuggla

Joined Oct 6, 2016
Hi,

I would like to make a grinder from the old hdd drive. Like on this movie

I only have SAMSUNG hdd's. Unfortunately they all have safeguard which stops the engine after few seconds. It is probably because circuit is not detecting any incoming data from the head since I have removed the head. It would only disturb. I would like to use existing hdd circuit with some modifications (?)

On the video above someone bypassed safeguard by connecting 5V with something on the board using cable (older SAMSUNG hdd).

My hdd's have this board:

Engine is controlled by the HA13627 controller.

What can I do to prevent circuit from stoping the engine?

My thoughts:
1. May be there is a way to cross/apply voltage to some part and trick controller so it won't cut off power from the engine?
2. May be there is a way to cut/remove some parts of the paths so controller will not get the message to stop the engine?
3. May be there is a way to trick controller that it is getting data from the head by applying some voltage to the pins where the head was mounted?

Could someone help me with that. I have no clue how to approach this topic. I will be grateful for any help.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
A grinder made with that motor would be seriously underpowered for most purposes. What do you intend grinding?

darthuggla

Joined Oct 6, 2016
Hi Alec_t,

I am gonna to grind some plastic parts.
I am not gonna to stress it much.
Besides I have many broken samsung hdd's.
If one grinder fails I can replace it with another. They are only gathering dust on my shelf.

darthuggla

Joined Oct 6, 2016
I have tried and I have glued some sandpaper to the hdd plater.
It is doing fine but engine stops after few seconds.
It is very annoying when you must switch power on/off in order to keep this engine spinning (and wait for full speed)

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
This has to be the weirdest thing I have ever seen done with a hdd.

I would also say that the rpm would be far too high for sanding plastic and all you would get is a molten mess.

Why not just get a cheap dc motor out of something and attach the disk to it? Would have far more power and would be much easier then this.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Why not forget the purpose of the grinder thingy and see if there's a way to run the disk continously? Not only Samsung, ....any HDD. :D

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Hi,

I would like to make a grinder from the old hdd drive. Like on this movie

I only have SAMSUNG hdd's. Unfortunately they all have safeguard which stops the engine after few seconds. It is probably because circuit is not detecting any incoming data from the head since I have removed the head. It would only disturb. I would like to use existing hdd circuit with some modifications (?)

On the video above someone bypassed safeguard by connecting 5V with something on the board using cable (older SAMSUNG hdd).

My hdd's have this board:

Engine is controlled by the HA13627 controller.

What can I do to prevent circuit from stoping the engine?

My thoughts:
1. May be there is a way to cross/apply voltage to some part and trick controller so it won't cut off power from the engine?
2. May be there is a way to cut/remove some parts of the paths so controller will not get the message to stop the engine?
3. May be there is a way to trick controller that it is getting data from the head by applying some voltage to the pins where the head was mounted?

Could someone help me with that. I have no clue how to approach this topic. I will be grateful for any help.
Can you attach the video?

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
I have not had to use this for some time but have a look at http://hddscan.com/. It is software that can change the configuration sector on the disk.
Have a look at the 'features' of the disk and disable anything to do with power or acoustic management. This should allow the disk to keep spinning.
You will, however, need to find a pc that you can plug that disk into.

have fun.