how to get a roverbot to map its course

mantsali

Joined Oct 20, 2009
im buildin a fairly simple and small roverbot and its main aim is to map two walls using ultrasonic sensors. what i need help with is, i need to recreate a map of its course on a PC either real-time wirelessly or store the information then extract it to the PC. can you please offer any suggestions or ideas, prefereably low cost. your help would be greatly appreciated

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
use a serial EEProm (such as the 24LC64 or similar)to store the data. I have used the same technique mapping a room with ROBI (my roverbot). It stored the data in an eeprom and when he needs to go to a certain location he can access the map info (it also acts as a playback = Retrace last steps, or rewind = go back to start location, etc.).... or I can download it to PC using wireless uart transceivers, and used VB code to simulate path taken by ROBI (http://www.arrickrobotics.com/robomenu/robi.html) ....

mantsali

Joined Oct 20, 2009
Im not sure how big the course will be but no more than 5by 5 m. bmorse your awesome thanks alot right now im going to implement your idea it may take awhile but il keep you posted

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
will a parallel eeprom AT28C64 work

any eeprom would work as long as you have enough I/O's to control it, serial eeproms only need 2 for SDA, SCL.

Or you can go a little further and use an SD_Card, a lot more code to write, but then your uc file system can be compatible with PC (FAT16 or FAT32). EEProms are just easier to implement and not much code overhead needed.

I am currently working on a FAT16/32 file system for Olimex's PIC32 board.....

My. 02